1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Current Density

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi.

I'm having some trouble calculating the electrical current density, which in my case is given by:

[tex]\sigma =\frac{{{e}^{2}}}{4{{\pi }^{3}}}\int{\left( -\frac{\partial f}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)\tau \cdot \mathbf{v}\cdot \mathbf{v}}\,dk[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Lets assume that [itex]\tau[/itex] is constant, and that:

[tex]f=\frac{1}{\exp \left( \frac{\varepsilon -\mu }{{{k}_{B}}T} \right)+1},[/tex]
    the Fermi function.
    And that:
    [tex]\varepsilon =\frac{{{\hbar }^{2}}{{k}^{2}}}{2m}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]v=\frac{\partial \varepsilon }{\partial k}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Then, how am I supposed to do this integral ?
    Exponential functions are so annoying if they are not alone.

I am supposed to end up with a value/number, but I really can't see how this is doable when I have all these exponential functions. When you differentiate the Fermi function, before putting it inside the integral, you get even more exponential functions.

So yes, I'm kinda lost here. So I was kinda hoping for someone who might be able to give a little hint :)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    Use the chain rule. You have [itex] v = \frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial k} [/itex], so [tex] v dk = \frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial k} dk = \frac{1}{\hbar} d \epsilon [/tex] After that, I have no idea. You can try partial integration, which lets you dodge the derivative, although I didn't actually do the calculation so I don't know if it gets easier.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    Hmmm, I've actually narrowed it down to several integral, only one being hard, which is:

[tex]\int{\exp \left( \frac{\varepsilon +\mu }{{{k}_{B}}T} \right)}\,{{k}^{2}}dk,[/tex]
    where epsilon is the energy given in my first post.

Any clever way to solve this now ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted