Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical current to sound

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    Hi friends I'm new here
    I just want to know if we can convert electrical signals to sound

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's what a speaker does.

[thread moved to electrical engineering]

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3
    I'm asking that if we can convert brain's electric signals to sound I.e.. So that we can hear their inner thoughts

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You can computer-generate sound based on some measurements of electrodes, but that doesn't mean you can "hear thoughts". You'll get a random-looking pattern of neurons firing.

6. Sep 25, 2015 #5
  7. Sep 25, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

If you map the whole brain activity, calibrate it with known images and throw tons of highly sophisticated software in, you can get a very rough estimate of the visual input of the brain.

There is a rough correlation between the field of vision and spatial brain areas, so getting some rough idea which areas are active is possible (which you can see in the video). Sufficient to see that there is a face, but not more so far. Such a correlation does not exist for thoughts, at least no correlation is known. And even if there would be, it would need a huge amount of calibration to map it.
    There are studies that monitored individual neurons, and apparently it can happen that those are highly specific - one study (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7045/full/nature03687.html, news article) found a neuron that responded to Halle Berry (pictures or her name written somewhere), but to nothing else tested.

Sure, a computer can learn such a correlation and then play a sound file where someone says "Halle Berry", but I don't think the question was meant that way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Sep 25, 2015 #7
    So there is no chance of hearing other's thoughts through this computer programming thing? Only we can estimate what others are thinking? and I think it would take so much time for us to even estimate what he /she thinks

9. Sep 25, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Not in the way you probably imagine. Brains are not operating with sound.
    Not even that (at least not yet). There is a test subject where you can reliably check if that test subject thinks of Halle Berry, another one where you can check "if that persons thinks of an opera house, we can make an educated guess if it is the one in Sydney or not", and a few more isolated cases. Certainly of scientific interest, but most of the time humans are not thinking of Halle Berry or the Sydney Opera House.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook