Electrical Discharge in Argon: Which Electrode is Bombarded?

In summary, the conversation discusses a carbon arc discharge in an environment of Argon between two electrodes. The current discharged is 19 amps and 30 volts DC. The Argon ions are repelled by the positive terminal, so the target should be on the negative terminal. Sputtering is done at low pressure and typically involves a more complicated system. The speaker's rig is for carbon arc discharge and nanotube production in a vertical setup, with a cathode to anode ratio of 40:1.
arauca
In an environment of Argon between two electrodes at a distance about 2 millimeter a current is discharged of about 19 amps and 30 volt DC.

Which electrode get bombarded with the ion to dislodge particles of the surface ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The argon ions are vastly more massive than the electrons. These will be Ar+, so should be repelled by the positive terminal. Thus you want your target to be on the negative terminal.

Thank you I was expecting that I needed some confirmation .
So I understand it . at time zero once the, voltage gets increased until it reaches the potential of the outer electron from Argon is removed at the Anode ( positive electrode ) then the Argon ion will go to the cathode ( negative electrode and collide with the surface and will sputter the surface of the Cathode . Do I have it rite ?

Sputtering is done usually at low pressure .

I have a situation of cathode to anode ratio of 40 : 1 and I have gas flowing in the area were the discharge is taking place . The anode gets eroded and I see some deposition of the anode on the cathode.

The other parameters are wrong for sputtering also ... but I used my experience with sputtering in the analysis.

What is your rig for?

Carbon ark discharge , i nanotube production, in vertical set up.

1. What is electrical discharge in argon?

Electrical discharge in argon is a phenomenon in which electricity is passed through a gas, causing the gas to become ionized and emit light. In this process, electrons in the gas are accelerated and collide with other atoms or molecules, resulting in a release of energy in the form of light.

2. What is the purpose of using argon in electrical discharge?

Argon is commonly used as the gas in electrical discharge experiments due to its high ionization potential and low reactivity. This allows for a stable and controllable discharge, making it ideal for studying the effects of electrical energy on gases.

3. How does the type of electrode affect the electrical discharge in argon?

The type of electrode used can greatly impact the electrical discharge in argon. The electrode material and shape can affect the energy and direction of the electrons, leading to variations in the intensity and color of the resulting light emission.

4. Which electrode is typically bombarded in electrical discharge in argon?

In most cases, the cathode is the electrode that is bombarded in electrical discharge in argon. This is because the cathode is negatively charged and attracts the positively charged ions in the gas, resulting in a more intense and focused discharge.

5. What are some applications of studying electrical discharge in argon?

Electrical discharge in argon has several practical applications, including gas lasers, fluorescent lighting, and plasma displays. It is also a valuable tool for studying the properties of gases and the behavior of electrons in electric fields.