Electrical discharge

1. In an environment of Argon between two electrodes at a distance about 2 millimeter a current is discharged of about 19 amps and 30 volt DC.

Which electrode get bombarded with the ion to dislodge particles of the surface ?

2. jcsd
  3. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,918
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The argon ions are vastly more massive than the electrons. These will be Ar+, so should be repelled by the positive terminal. Thus you want your target to be on the negative terminal.

4. Thank you I was expecting that I needed some confirmation .
    So I understand it . at time zero once the, voltage gets increased until it reaches the potential of the outer electron from Argon is removed at the Anode ( positive electrode ) then the Argon ion will go to the cathode ( negative electrode and collide with the surface and will sputter the surface of the Cathode . Do I have it rite ?

5. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,918
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sputtering is done usually at low pressure .

I have a situation of cathode to anode ratio of 40 : 1 and I have gas flowing in the area were the discharge is taking place . The anode gets eroded and I see some deposition of the anode on the cathode.

7. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,918
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other parameters are wrong for sputtering also ... but I used my experience with sputtering in the analysis.

What is your rig for?

8. Carbon ark discharge , i nanotube production, in vertical set up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted