Calculating Force on Potassium Ion Due to Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force on a potassium ion located at different distances from the center of a cell wall with charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign distributed on its inner and outer surfaces. The method of using F=qE is mentioned, but further details such as the size of the cell wall and the distribution of charges are needed for accurate calculations.
thebigbluedeamon
If someone could help me start this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Charges of equal magnitude 1.00X10^-15 C and opposite sign are distributed over the inner and outer surfaces of the cell wall. Find the force on the potassium ion (K+) if the ion is, (a) 2.70 micro-meters from the center of the cell, (b) 2.92 micro-meters from the center, and (c) 4.00 micro-meters from the center.

I suspect that I'm going to use F=qE but I'm not quite sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What size are the inner and outter surfaces of the cell wall? Are the charges distributed uniformly?

I guess that you have to calculate the electric field, but the electric field depends on the cell wall.

Sure, I can help you get started on this problem. First, let's review the formula for electric force, which is F = qE. Here, q represents the charge of the particle and E represents the electric field. In this problem, we are looking for the force on a potassium ion (K+) due to the electric field created by the charges on the cell wall.

To solve this problem, we will need to calculate the electric field at each distance from the center of the cell. The electric field created by a point charge can be calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

For part (a), the potassium ion is 2.70 micro-meters from the center of the cell. First, we need to convert this distance to meters, which is 2.70 x 10^-6 m. Then, we can calculate the electric field at this distance by using the formula E = kq/r^2, where q is the total charge on the cell wall (1.00 x 10^-15 C) and r is the distance from the center (2.70 x 10^-6 m). This will give us the magnitude of the electric field at this distance.

Once we have the electric field, we can use the formula F = qE to calculate the force on the potassium ion. Remember, q represents the charge of the particle, which is the charge of the potassium ion (1.60 x 10^-19 C). So, the force on the potassium ion at this distance would be F = (1.60 x 10^-19 C)(electric field at 2.70 x 10^-6 m).

You can follow the same steps for parts (b) and (c), using the respective distances and calculating the electric field at each distance. Just remember to convert all distances to meters before plugging them into the formulas. I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Good luck!

What is electrical energy and how is it measured?

Electrical energy is a form of energy that is generated by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It can be measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy.

What are some common problems associated with electrical energy?

Some common problems associated with electrical energy include power outages, electrical fires, and electrical shocks. These can be caused by faulty wiring, overloading circuits, or malfunctioning appliances.

How can I reduce my energy consumption and save money on my electricity bill?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption, including turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and using natural lighting and ventilation whenever possible. These practices can also help save money on electricity bills.

What are some renewable sources of electrical energy?

Some renewable sources of electrical energy include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. These sources do not deplete natural resources and have a lower impact on the environment compared to non-renewable sources like fossil fuels.

How does electricity travel through a circuit?

Electricity travels through a circuit in a closed loop, moving from a power source (such as a battery or generator) through conductors (such as wires) and into a device or appliance. The flow of electricity is controlled by switches, fuses, and other components in the circuit.