Electrical engineering applications requiring the use of gas laws such as PV=NRT etc

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gas laws such as the Ideal Gas Law, Charles' Law, Boyls' Law, and the Combined Gas Law in electrical engineering. One person has used these laws in their undergraduate training, while the other has used them in their work designing gas flow controllers and vacuum gauges. They also mention the complexities of using these laws in more advanced situations.
land_of_ice
Have you ever used the Ideal Gas Law, Charles' Law, Boyls' Law, or the Combined Gas Law for anything in electrical engineering?

Engineering news on Phys.org

land_of_ice said:
Have you ever used the Ideal Gas Law, Charles' Law, Boyls' Law, or the Combined Gas Law for anything in electrical engineering?

Not me, just in undergrad training. Why do you ask?

I used all of these.
...To get my degree!

But you never know when you need a bit of instrumentation for sensing or measuring something, and can't get a sensor to directly measure that quality, but CAN measure something related, instead.

I used them at work, but the gas equations got even more complex, so I usually ran away and let the physics guys work on it.

PS - I designed gas flow controllers and vacuum gauges

1. How are gas laws applied in electrical engineering?

Gas laws, such as PV=NRT, are commonly used in electrical engineering for calculations involving gases and their properties. This includes determining gas flow rates, pressure changes, and the behavior of gases in various electrical equipment.

2. What are some specific examples of electrical engineering applications that involve gas laws?

Some examples include designing and analyzing gas-insulated switchgear systems, calculating the efficiency of gas turbines, and determining the optimal gas pressure for cooling systems in electrical equipment.

3. How do gas laws affect the performance of electrical equipment?

The behavior of gases, as described by gas laws, can greatly impact the efficiency and performance of electrical equipment. For example, incorrect pressure or flow rates can cause overheating or damage to equipment, while properly applied gas laws can optimize performance and ensure safety.

4. Do gas laws play a role in renewable energy sources?

Yes, gas laws are often used in the design and operation of renewable energy sources such as fuel cells and solar panels. Understanding gas properties is crucial in optimizing the efficiency and output of these systems.

5. How can knowledge of gas laws benefit an electrical engineer?

Having a solid understanding of gas laws allows an electrical engineer to make accurate calculations and predictions for various systems and processes involving gases. This can help optimize performance and ensure the safety and reliability of electrical equipment.