Electrical Engineering conflict

In summary, Alex is undecided on which track to choose for electrical engineering and is looking for advice.
Lewis119
Hello everyone. I am a third year Electrical Engineering major and I am just starting to take some real EE courses such as Digital Logics and Microprocessors. I have to choose a track for electrical engineering and I am in a dilemma as I do not know which track I want to do. This falls under the category of "what do you like?" and honestly, I do not know. I think I want to be very proficient in creating my own side projects such as arduino projects or robotics but I do not know that this falls under any of my core topics.

The divisions are : Devices, electromagnetics and energy systems, electronics, signals and systems, and computer engineering. Can someone provide specifics on what each field does specifically. I already looked on google and it left me more confused.
Also, if a recruiter approached me and asked me what in EE I would like to do, what should I say?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lewis119 said:
Hello everyone. I am a third year Electrical Engineering major and I am just starting to take some real EE courses such as Digital Logics and Microprocessors. I have to choose a track for electrical engineering and I am in a dilemma as I do not know which track I want to do. This falls under the category of "what do you like?" and honestly, I do not know. I think I want to be very proficient in creating my own side projects such as arduino projects or robotics but I do not know that this falls under any of my core topics.

The divisions are : Devices, electromagnetics and energy systems, electronics, signals and systems, and computer engineering. Can someone provide specifics on what each field does specifically. I already looked on google and it left me more confused.
Also, if a recruiter approached me and asked me what in EE I would like to do, what should I say?
Lewis119 said:
electromagnetics electronics, signals and systems.
Being in the same situation many years ago, I will stand by my choice.

RF is cool, AKA > electromagnetic's; I'm still trying to understand magnetism dancing with an electric field zipping along at the speed of light...

But I'm a old geezer...

Regards,
Alex

I think signals and systems is closest of the fields listed to Arduino and robotics project, unless you actually want to design the microprocessor (chip) itself. Then electronics or devices would be most relevant.

Likes Electron Spin
Wow, I had to google 'Arduino'.. Those kits look really cool I must say. Makes me want to build stuff again. You know, simple stuff.

Speaking about robotics, I like robotics for the reasons addressed above, lots of variety as in sensors, servo's, all types of motors, pneumatics, hydraulics, open and closed loop electronics, fiber and light, well we could go on and on. Yes, robotics was always fun to teach and to maintain in industry for me.

But I still have a passion for R.F., Just me I guess.

Think about things you like to do, then figure out how that would translate into an EE degree. Find magazines on EE topics like Popular Science. Arduino is a good start. Think about what classes you enjoyed the most and take it from there. Good luck!

1. What is an "Electrical Engineering conflict"?

An Electrical Engineering conflict refers to a disagreement or dispute between individuals or groups working in the field of Electrical Engineering. This can arise due to differences in opinions, methodologies, or approaches to a problem or project.

2. What are some common causes of Electrical Engineering conflicts?

Some common causes of Electrical Engineering conflicts include differences in technical knowledge, conflicting project goals, communication breakdowns, and personality clashes. Issues with time management, resource allocation, and budget constraints can also contribute to conflicts.

3. How can Electrical Engineering conflicts be resolved?

Electrical Engineering conflicts can be resolved through effective communication, active listening, and a willingness to compromise. It is important to identify the root cause of the conflict and find a mutually beneficial solution. Seeking the help of a mediator or involving a neutral third party can also aid in resolving conflicts.

4. How can Electrical Engineering conflicts be prevented?

To prevent Electrical Engineering conflicts, it is important to establish clear roles and responsibilities, set realistic expectations, and maintain open and transparent communication channels. Regular team meetings and progress updates can also help to identify and address potential conflicts before they escalate.

5. How can conflicts be beneficial in the field of Electrical Engineering?

While conflicts may seem disruptive, they can also be beneficial in the field of Electrical Engineering. They can lead to new ideas and solutions, promote critical thinking, and improve team dynamics. By addressing conflicts in a constructive manner, individuals and teams can learn and grow from the experience.