1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering conflict

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone. I am a third year Electrical Engineering major and I am just starting to take some real EE courses such as Digital Logics and Microprocessors. I have to choose a track for electrical engineering and I am in a dilemma as I do not know which track I want to do. This falls under the category of "what do you like?" and honestly, I do not know. I think I want to be very proficient in creating my own side projects such as arduino projects or robotics but I do not know that this falls under any of my core topics.

The divisions are : Devices, electromagnetics and energy systems, electronics, signals and systems, and computer engineering. Can someone provide specifics on what each field does specifically. I already looked on google and it left me more confused.
    Also, if a recruiter approached me and asked me what in EE I would like to do, what should I say?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

Being in the same situation many years ago, I will stand by my choice.

RF is cool, AKA > electromagnetic's; I'm still trying to understand magnetism dancing with an electric field zipping along at the speed of light...

But I'm a old geezer...

Regards,
    Alex

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    I think signals and systems is closest of the fields listed to Arduino and robotics project, unless you actually want to design the microprocessor (chip) itself. Then electronics or devices would be most relevant.

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4
    Wow, I had to google 'Arduino'.. Those kits look really cool I must say. Makes me want to build stuff again. You know, simple stuff.

Speaking about robotics, I like robotics for the reasons addressed above, lots of variety as in sensors, servo's, all types of motors, pneumatics, hydraulics, open and closed loop electronics, fiber and light, well we could go on and on. Yes, robotics was always fun to teach and to maintain in industry for me.

But I still have a passion for R.F., Just me I guess.

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5

tensor0910

Gold Member

Think about things you like to do, then figure out how that would translate into an EE degree. Find magazines on EE topics like Popular Science. Arduino is a good start. Think about what classes you enjoyed the most and take it from there. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted