What do electrical engineers actually do in the workforce?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concerns of a college student majoring in electrical engineering about the type of jobs available and the daily tasks of an electrical engineer. They mention looking at job listings and feeling confused by the requirements and job descriptions. They also mention statistics about engineers ending up in non-engineering careers and the possibility of a Master's degree leading to a more relevant job. The conversation also touches on the different sub-fields of electrical engineering and the relevance of the field in everyday life.
mathrocks
I'm currently in my third year of college majoring in electrical engineering. I'm just now starting to worry about the different kind of jobs that are available out there. I was hoping some electrical engineers can describe their typical days at work. I just have no clue to what exactly a electrical engineer does? Do they just sit in an office solving circuits? Do they design circuits? I've been looking at jobs listings online and everything I've seen said you need 5-6 years of experience and the description of the job looked totally foreign to me. What do average recent graduates with a bachelor's degree do?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your major or planned major. That can matter a lot if you plan to be knowledgeable in your job. Oh, but do keep in mind that 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering careers (statistics from my school's career center). Deutche Bank had a career talk at my school a couple weeks ago and I asked them. They said they love hiring engineer graduates ;)

The engineers and engineers-to-be that I've talked to have told me that most engineers become paper pushers. :(

But, I don't know if that's only for those with B.S. degrees. Maybe with a Master's you can do something closer to what you actually studied.

PL

mezarashi said:
What's your major or planned major. That can matter a lot if you plan to be knowledgeable in your job. Oh, but do keep in mind that 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering careers (statistics from my school's career center). Deutche Bank had a career talk at my school a couple weeks ago and I asked them. They said they love hiring engineer graduates ;)

I'm currently majoring in Electrical engineering as I stated above...

mathrocks said:
I'm currently majoring in Electrical engineering as I stated above...

Sorry. That didn't really sound like a major to me. For example I'm in the School of Electronic Engineering, Microelectronics division with Photonics as my major.

Electrical engineering has many sub-fields (communications, microelectronics, dsp, etc.); everything around us is related to electrical engineering. 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering filelds, I have to see to believe :).

exequor said:
Electrical engineering has many sub-fields (communications, microelectronics, dsp, etc.); everything around us is related to electrical engineering. 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering filelds, I have to see to believe :).

Yeah... I definitely don't believe that either. I'd love to see a source if possible.

1. What is the job outlook for electrical engineers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for electrical engineers is expected to grow 5% from 2018 to 2028, which is about average compared to other occupations. This growth is due to the increasing demand for new electronic devices and technologies in various industries.

2. What industries can electrical engineers work in?

Electrical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, aerospace, automotive, and computer hardware. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

3. What skills are needed for a career in electrical engineering?

Some important skills for electrical engineering jobs include strong mathematical and technical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex systems and data. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

4. What education is required for an electrical engineering job?

Most electrical engineering jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree, especially for research or teaching roles. It is also important to continuously update skills and knowledge through continuing education and professional development opportunities.

5. What is the average salary for an electrical engineer?

The median annual salary for electrical engineers as of May 2019 was $98,530, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, industry, and employer. Senior electrical engineers or those with specialized skills and certifications may earn higher salaries.