Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical engineering jobs?

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1
    I'm currently in my third year of college majoring in electrical engineering. I'm just now starting to worry about the different kind of jobs that are available out there. I was hoping some electrical engineers can describe their typical days at work. I just have no clue to what exactly a electrical engineer does? Do they just sit in an office solving circuits? Do they design circuits? I've been looking at jobs listings online and everything I've seen said you need 5-6 years of experience and the description of the job looked totally foreign to me. What do average recent graduates with a bachelor's degree do?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

What's your major or planned major. That can matter a lot if you plan to be knowledgeable in your job. Oh, but do keep in mind that 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering careers (statistics from my school's career center). Deutche Bank had a career talk at my school a couple weeks ago and I asked them. They said they love hiring engineer graduates ;)

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3
    The engineers and engineers-to-be that I've talked to have told me that most engineers become paper pushers. :(

But, I don't know if that's only for those with B.S. degrees. Maybe with a Master's you can do something closer to what you actually studied.

PL

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    I'm currently majoring in Electrical engineering as I stated above...

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Sorry. That didn't really sound like a major to me. For example I'm in the School of Electronic Engineering, Microelectronics division with Photonics as my major.

7. Oct 8, 2005 #6
    Electrical engineering has many sub-fields (communications, microelectronics, dsp, etc.); everything around us is related to electrical engineering. 70% of engineers end up in non-engineering filelds, I have to see to believe :).

8. Oct 8, 2005 #7
    Yeah... I definitely don't believe that either. I'd love to see a source if possible.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook