1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering Student More Computer Engineering Classes?

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    I'm almost done with my electrical engineering Bachelor's Degree. I have 1.5 semesters left, and I'm heavily considering grad. school in control systems (probably just a master's).

I've focused on areas such as signal processing, control systems, circuit design, some electromagnetics, and I'm getting a math minor all as undergrad.

But I sort of feel disappointed somewhat that I don't know very much computer engineering at all. Everything in my EE curriculum focuses on circuits at a low level (which i do like, because then you understand things at a very low level). I took a (required) digital logic class a few years ago but it was very basic and didn't get into programming any hardware. I also had a micro-controller class from the EE dept. class required for my degree, but nobody learned anything; that professor was awful. So it boils down to a basic question?

I want to be able to use computer eng. knowledge to design and build (small, but possibly somewhat large) computer systems that I can program (I would assume using assembler or C). If one class would do it, I could take the next compeng class, but the prof is terrible according to friends who've taken the class. I don't really have anymore room in my schedule for computer engineering classes anyway, unless I take 18.5 credits my last semester, which I don't want to do while I'll be in senior design.

So basically, what textbooks should I get for self study? They must be easy to read so that I can have an effective self study? Anyone have any recommendations?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted