Electrical engineering with photonics

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to pursuing a career in photonics and quantum computing. Some recommended undergraduate degrees for this field are electrical engineering, applied physics, and physics. Courses in quantum mechanics and solid state physics are also necessary, along with a strong background in math and general physics. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements of individual universities.
Maxwell
Is there anyone here who is into this field? What type of undergraduate degree did you get?

I'm doing Electrical engineering with a computer science minor. Is this a good background for someone who would like to go into photonics?

I'd love to go into the field of quantum computing, but I'm not really sure how feasible that is. Photonics seems like a fun field.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell said:
Is there anyone here who is into this field? What type of undergraduate degree did you get?

I'm doing Electrical engineering with a computer science minor. Is this a good background for someone who would like to go into photonics?

I'd love to go into the field of quantum computing, but I'm not really sure how feasible that is. Photonics seems like a fun field.

Thanks.

Electronics is a good way to go. Applied physics also (that is what i am doing). Here in Belgium we can major in photonics...

If you want to study quantum computing, i suggest you start to study quantummechanics at the fullest because you are going to need it. This is more a field of theoretical physics to be honest. Here is a nice site with the course that I studied on this subject :

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/~preskill/ph219/#lecture

regards
marlon

Maxwell said:

I'm currently working on a Masters in this area; I have a B.S. in Physics.

Maxwell said:

EE should be fine. I'd try to get in a Quantum Mechanics and Solid State class to round things out. Photonics seems to rely heavily on those two areas, and my Master's sequence has me taking both.

Best of Luck!

What do you need for Quantum Mechanics and Solid State physics classes?

I'll have Calc 1,2,3 and Differential equations done before I can take it. Most likely Linear algebra as well. Is there any other math classes I will need to take?

I'll also have a year of general (calc based) physics.

Will I be set for Quantum Mechanics?

Depends on the college and the pre-req's.

For my university, you need up to calc 3, physics 2, and an intro physics course (junior level) that gets you more comfortable with solving physics problems (called Intro to Theoretical Methods in Physics).

Once you have all those, you can go on to intro to Quantum 1, 2 and Quantum lab.

The actual Quantum classes (not the intro) are masters level courses.

It differs for each institution.

I am also interested in Photonics. I am working on my B.S. in Applied Physics, I've been told its a good way to go.

At my universty Quantum has Modern Physics and Intermidiate Optics as pre-req's
I'm not sure about the Solid State classes.

Maxwell said:
What do you need for Quantum Mechanics and Solid State physics classes?

I'll have Calc 1,2,3 and Differential equations done before I can take it. Most likely Linear algebra as well. Is there any other math classes I will need to take?

I'll also have a year of general (calc based) physics.

Will I be set for Quantum Mechanics?

You should be fine with math, but you will probably want to take an intermediate physics class. Optics would be a good choice, especially if you are headed towards photonics.

What is electrical engineering with photonics?

Electrical engineering with photonics is a branch of engineering that focuses on the use of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation for the transmission and processing of information and energy. It involves the study and application of devices and systems that use photons to manipulate and control electrical signals.

What are some practical applications of electrical engineering with photonics?

Some practical applications of electrical engineering with photonics include telecommunications, data transmission, medical imaging, laser technology, solar energy, and optical computing. It is also used in various industries such as aerospace, defense, and consumer electronics.

What are the key differences between electrical engineering and electrical engineering with photonics?

The main difference between electrical engineering and electrical engineering with photonics is the focus on the use of photons in the latter. While both fields involve the study and application of electricity and electronics, electrical engineering with photonics specifically deals with the manipulation and control of light for various purposes.

What skills are needed to pursue a career in electrical engineering with photonics?

To pursue a career in electrical engineering with photonics, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is also important to have a good understanding of electrical circuits, optics, and electromagnetics. Good problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills are also essential.

What are some current advancements in the field of electrical engineering with photonics?

Some current advancements in electrical engineering with photonics include new materials for photonic devices, the development of faster and more efficient optical communication systems, and the integration of photonics with other fields such as nanotechnology and biotechnology. There is also ongoing research in areas such as quantum photonics and photonic integrated circuits.