1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1

Nx2

Hi guys... im new to this forum and im starting to like it alot.

i am planning on going into University of Waterloo for Electrical Engineering and was just wondering how everyone found there first year of engineering like. i was told it was ALOT of content and constant work. Ppl are sarting to scare me now. anyways, yea, just wanted to know how its like comming from ppl who have actually been there wit experience... THNX

o yeah and this forum rox! :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first year of a EE program is likely to be indistinguishable from any other physical science or engineering program. You're going to have to cover all the bases -- calculus, introductory physics, and so on. A lot of schools also push you through "weed-out" courses that are, well, designed to distinguish those who really have the right skill set for engineering from the rest. These classes are often easy if you're very, very careful to follow directions exactly as given.

If you felt pretty confident with your math skills in high school, you'll probably find few of the first-year concepts too difficult, but you might be surprised with the workload. Do your homework immediately after you've given the assignment, rather than waiting until the night before it's due. Always assume a homework assignment, no matter how benign it looks, might actually take you several days to complete.

- Warren

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3

Nx2

wow... so it looks like there will be no time to sleep, just constant work, just as i predicted but i'm still up for it. as of now im doing not too bad in calculus and physics ... but i'm just not sure if not too bad will cut it...

- Tu

5. Jan 18, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I actually worked harder in high school than in college, but I was in a special college-prep program that was pretty intense. The workload is not that bad; it's not constant work. Just don't slack off and get behind, or you will quickly get overwhelmed.

"Not too bad" will definitely cut it. You don't need to be a genius to get an engineering degree -- you just need to be able to follow directions and study effectively.

- Warren

6. Jan 18, 2005 #5

Nx2

wow .... so u actually worked harder in hi school eh... damn... i guess im just gonna have to see how first year is like and hopefully survive it... my teacher told me as long as i survive the first year the rest will get easier aand easier... but i dunno man, the guy is a genious.

7. Jan 18, 2005 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Waterloo is pretty top notch, MIT level I think. Just work hard... solve homework problems over and over till you know can do them without thinking too much. That'll leave you time in the tests for any zingers the prof gives you. If you work hard, I'm pretty sure you won't have too much trouble.

People like to exaggerate about how tough things will be. I myself worked hard in high school, and found it a pretty easy transition into college.

8. Jan 18, 2005 #7

Nx2

yea... i realized that it is gonna take alot of hard work especialy bcuz waterloo is recognized for its engineering field... so how are ur days and nights like as engineering students?... u guys must have longs nights.

- Tu

9. Feb 7, 2005 #8
    Easier? When?!

Well, I'm no genius, so let me tell you that it doesn't get easier. It gets harder, and more convoluted, and everything builds on what you've learned before.

BUT, what I can say is that if you don't know how to study when you start, you learn as you go along. You start to figure out what you need to do to get through all of this incredibly hard stuff, even when the equations look like Sanskrit.

Blade raised,

Daemon

10. Feb 8, 2005 #9
    well you will have alot of sleepless nights. math isnt hard. i think the hardest is physics and the engineering courses.

11. Feb 9, 2005 #10
    BlkDaemon,

Whazzup Maria? How did you like that 343 final? He He He.

12. Mar 7, 2005 #11
    MTH 343 Final

HA!!

You mean the one I'm **finally* taking next week?!?!

Loooooong story, man. Ran into Nick yesterday. He's doing alright. Drop me a line sometime. You sticking with PCC or coming back over here?

13. Mar 7, 2005 #12
    I attend the University of Waterloo for the Mechanical Engineering Program. The EE courses you will be taking are very different from the ones I took. Thats the great thing about waterloo, the undergraduate program is not all the same, the program courses differ by a lot. The calculus you take will be a lot tougher than the one I took, a lot more theoretical whereas the physics I took (Mechanics) is not comparable to the baby physics Electrical and Computer Engineers take. If you have any more questions about the university of Waterloo, I'd be glad to answer them. Just PM me. And by the way, dont believe the bull**** people tell you that you would be able to get any sleep. My first year, I went to sleep every night at 10:00 and I worked out 5 days a week. The University is fantastic and if you attend all lectures andtutorials, you will Not fail.

Regards,

Nenad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?