Understanding Capacitance: Calculating Electric Fields with an Air Gap Capacitor

In summary, the conversation is about finding the strength of a field between plates of a 0.80 uf air gap capacitor with a 2 mm distance and a charge of 72 ucol. The student is seeking help as their teacher has not provided a formula or examples, and the problem is not in the textbook. They also have another problem about the magnitude and direction of an electric field between two charges, but they have no idea how to solve it. A suggestion is made to use an equation that relates Q, C, and V.
cwrx14

Homework Statement

How strong a field between plates 0.80 uf air gap capacitator if 2 mm apart has charge of 72 ucol?

Homework Equations

My teacher has not given a formula, any examples, etc. I really would like to learn this and its not in the textbook. Please help, thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't lie because I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have a problem that says what is the magnitude and direction of the electrical field at a point midway between -8 ucoul and 7 ucol charge 8 cm apart? assume no other charges nearby.

cwrx14 said:

Homework Statement

How strong a field between plates 0.80 uf air gap capacitator if 2 mm apart has charge of 72 ucol?

Homework Equations

My teacher has not given a formula, any examples, etc. I really would like to learn this and its not in the textbook. Please help, thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't lie because I have no clue.

Try the equation that relates Q, C, and V.

What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a region in space where an electrically charged object experiences a force. This force is caused by the presence of other charged objects or by changing magnetic fields.

How do electrical fields help in everyday life?

Electrical fields play a crucial role in our everyday lives. They are used in household appliances, transportation, telecommunications, and many other industries. They also help in generating and distributing electricity, making our modern lifestyle possible.

What are some examples of electrical fields?

Some common examples of electrical fields include the static electricity that builds up on clothes, lightning strikes, and the fields produced by electronic devices such as computers and cell phones.

How do electrical fields affect living organisms?

Living organisms, including humans, are affected by electrical fields. They play a role in the nervous system, muscle contractions, and even the beating of the heart. However, exposure to high levels of electrical fields can also have harmful effects on living organisms.

How are electrical fields measured?

Electrical fields can be measured using an instrument called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the field at a particular point in space. The unit of measurement for electrical field strength is volts per meter (V/m).