Two very large sheets of charge are separated by a distance d. One sheet has a surface charge density +o and the other a surface charge density -o. A small region near the center of the sheets is shown.
1. Draw arrows on the diagram to indicate the direction of the electric fields at points A, B, C, and D
2. Compare the magnitudes of the electric fields at points A, B, C and D
3. How would the electric force exerted on a charged particle at point A compare to the electric force exerted on the same particle at point B? point C? point D?
E = F/q
The Attempt at a Solution
1. All pointing to the right
2. B>A=C>D. Electric field is imagining putting +1C of charge; therefore it would repel the + charge and attract to the - charge
3. I have trouble on this question. I think that at points A and C, E-force would be 0 because the electric force from + and - repel. At point B and D, it would be the same because they are equidistant from the electrodes?