1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Laws

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey. Is it correct to say that Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Law and Thevenin Thereom are all related? Am I right in thinking that Ohms and Kirchoff's Law have been derived from Thevenin's Thereom? Just on very basic scale. Using the Thevenin's Thereom, I know that the ratio of the potential differences across each resistor is equal to the ratio of the resistances. which is Ohm’s Law isnt it? :S
    I think its pretty straightforward for my thinking about Kirchoff's Law and Thevenin's Thereom. The calculations used for finding current and voltage that we know through Thevenin's Thereom are used to prove Vin, Vout and Iin, Iout arent they?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Kirchhoff's two laws are basically energy conservation and charge conservation statements. As such they cannot be "derived"; they are a fact of Nature. Ohm's Law is not really a law in my opinion. V = IR is only a approximation for certain materials and even then it is restricted to a relatively narrow range of temperatures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook