Calculate Number of Turns Per Phase: Electrical Machines Exam

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with an electrical machines exam problem involving a 50Hz, 3 phase, core-type transformer with a line voltage ratio of 11000/400V and a maximum flux density of 1.2T. The student is wondering if they can use the voltage ratio formula to calculate the number of turns in each winding and is seeking assistance with the problem. The expert suggests using the formula N1/N2 = (V1/V2)^2 x B / 4.44fA, after calculating the total core area by subtracting the 10% insulation from the gross area.
ric115
Hi there

am presently studying for my electrical machines exam and i have a few examples to tackle.

A 50hz, 3 phase, core-type transformer is connected star-delta and has a line voltage ratio of 11000/400V. The cross-section of the core is square with a circumscribing circle of 0.6m diameter

If the maximum flux density is about 1.2T, calculate the number of turns per phase on the low-voltage and on the high-voltage windings. Assume the insulation to occupy 10 per cent of the gross core area.

So i have;

V1= 11000
V2= 400
B = 1.2T
A = 0.6m (i think?)

Could i use the V1/V2 = T1/T2 formula here?

Anyhelp on this topic would be greatly appreciated :O) rather do my mistakes here than on the exam

Physics news on Phys.org
.Yes, you can use the voltage ratio formula to calculate the number of turns in each winding. First, you need to calculate the total core area by subtracting the 10% insulation from the gross area (which is the area of the circumscribing circle). Then, use the formula N1/N2 = (V1/V2)^2 x B / 4.44fA, where N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the low-voltage and high-voltage windings respectively, V1 and V2 are the line voltages, B is the maximum flux density, f is the frequency of the transformer and A is the total core area.

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of turns per phase?

The formula for calculating the number of turns per phase is N = E / (4.44 * f * B * A * cosθ), where N is the number of turns, E is the supply voltage, f is the frequency, B is the magnetic flux density, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and cosθ is the power factor.

2. How do I determine the supply voltage and frequency for the calculation?

The supply voltage and frequency can be determined from the specifications of the electrical machine or from the power source that will be used to power the machine.

3. What is the role of magnetic flux density in the calculation?

Magnetic flux density is a measure of the intensity of the magnetic field within the core of the electrical machine. It is an important factor in determining the number of turns per phase because it affects the amount of voltage that can be induced in the windings.

4. Can the number of turns per phase be different for different phases?

Yes, the number of turns per phase can vary for different phases. This depends on the design and configuration of the electrical machine.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculation?

You can verify the accuracy of your calculation by comparing it to the specifications of the electrical machine or by testing the machine in real-world conditions. It is also recommended to double-check your calculations and to consult with other experts in the field.