1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical or Mechanical.

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Hi Everyone,
    I m confused which engeenering field shud i choose,electrical or mechanical.Which is the main difference b/w thm and wat types of jobs both offer.also, which one is harder.
    Hoping for discriptive answer.Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    Electrical : Broad field which embodies the application of electricity and light (communication, power, electronics, control systems...)

Mechanical : Broad field of designing and manufacturing mechanical systems.

Which one is harder ? Academically : Electrical has a heavier course load and more mathematics.

There are more jobs regarding electrical engineering.

If you're not good at thinking in 3D and drawing, than don't take Mechanical unless you work on those skills.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Correction : Not drawing but sketching.

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4
    My advice is, if you don't know what they are and why you want to do engineering, don't do either. I'm in ME and it is really weak. There are also lots of kids who have no idea why they're going to college other than getting a paper diploma and finding a "job". Very sad IMHO.

I'd say go back and think over what you want to do, what you're good at, what you like doing. Deciding on the major will become easy after that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook