What Does a CRO Monitor in an Electrical Oscillation Circuit?

In summary, CRO is connected to the batteries, the capacitor, and the inductor and is used to monitor electrical oscillation. The positions of the inductor and the capacitor cannot be interchanged to establish electrical oscillation. The parallel LC circuit is commonly used as a radio tuning circuit. The function of the resistor in this circuit is unclear, but it may be used for monitoring current or discharging the capacitor.
fewgame
CRO is connected to the batteries, the capacitor and the inductor. actually, i am not sure what the CRO is monitoring?

also, i would like to ask if electrical oscillation can be established if the positions of the inductor and the capacitor are interchanged? why?

Attachments

• 未命名.JPG
    未命名.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Another question

i have 2 questions for this circuit.

1. what is the application of the parallel LC circuit in resonance?
is it used as the radio tuning circuit?

2. what is the function of the resistor?
is it used for preventing a large current flowing through the signal generator in discharging so as to let the current flow through the inductor?

Attachments

• 未命名2.JPG
    未命名2.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 392
(phew, took me forever to figure out that CRO = cathode ray oscilloscope...)

Post #1 -- Tell us what happens when the switch is thrown from left to right. What is the initial condition of the cap voltage? What is the initial condition of the inductor current? What happens when the switch makes the right side contact?

Post #2 -- (1) I don't understand the question. LC circuits have many applications. (2) Since the signal generator output in the drawing already has a high output impedance, the 33 Ohm resistor would appear to be superflous. Can you think of any reason it is there? I suppose it could be used to monitor input current from the sig-gen maybe...

here is the procedure for post 1

Attachments

• 未命名.JPG
    未命名.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 362
fewgame said:
here is the procedure for post 1

Please answer my questions so that we can help you.

when the switch is thrown from left to right, the capacitor discharges, the inductor gain the energy and change the energy into magnetic engery to build up a magnitic field.
the initial voltage is 6V.
the initial inductor current is zero
when the switch makes the right side contact, the same thing happens

That's close to right. The L and C form a resonant "tank" circuit, and the energy oscillates back and forth between the electric field between the capacitor plates and the magnetic field stored in the inductor. The energy slowly dissipates due to the losses in the wires and in the capacitor dielectric and the inductor's magnetic material (if it has any). What do the circuit voltage and current waveforms look like while this is all happening?

i've done the experiment. i could see on the CRO in which the voltage oscillated and the amplitude decreased.i don't know why the voltage oscillates. the CRO was measuring both the voltages of inductor and the capacitor at the same time or what? if both the same time, then i know the reason. i just want to know whether i am correct.

and i have a very difficult question. can electrical oscillation be establilshed if the positions of the capacitor and the inductor are interchanged. in my experiment result, it cannot. but i don't know why.

fewgame said:
and i have a very difficult question. can electrical oscillation be establilshed if the positions of the capacitor and the inductor are interchanged. in my experiment result, it cannot. but i don't know why.

In your experiment, the capacitor is charged and stores energy in its electric field. When you connect the switch to the inductor, there is exchange of energy between the electric field in the capacitor and the magnetic field in the inductor. That is why the voltage oscillates.
An inductor behaves as a short circuit for DC voltage. If all elements were ideal, connecting the inductor to the voltage source would cause an infinite current through the element. With real components, the current will be limited by the output resistance of the source and by the ohmic resistance of the winding. The inductor stores energy in it's magnetic field
If you could operate the switch instantaneously, The same exchange of energies would happen with the elements interchanged. Since there is a finite time for the switching, the current drops to zero in the inductor before it is connected to the capacitor, so there is no energy exchange.

thank you both of you! you both have been very helpful~~~

still, i don't know the function of the resistor...
is it used to discharge the capacitor before another charging process by the sig. gen. comes?

fewgame said:
thank you both of you! you both have been very helpful~~~

still, i don't know the function of the resistor...
is it used to discharge the capacitor before another charging process by the sig. gen. comes?

As Berkeman said, the resistor seems to be superfluous. But if you connect your scope to its terminals, you will be able to see the current waveform.

i see. thank you so much!

What are electrical oscillations?

Electrical oscillations are repetitive variations in the magnitude and direction of an electrical current or voltage. They can occur in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits, and are characterized by a periodic waveform.

What causes electrical oscillations?

Electrical oscillations are caused by the interaction of inductance and capacitance in a circuit. When a charged capacitor is connected to an inductor, the energy stored in the capacitor is transferred to the inductor, causing it to produce an oscillating current.

What are the applications of electrical oscillations?

Electrical oscillations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, electronics, and power systems. They are used in devices such as radios, televisions, and computers to transmit and receive signals. They are also used in power grids to regulate voltage and frequency.

What is the difference between damped and undamped oscillations?

Damped oscillations occur when the energy in a system gradually dissipates over time, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease. In contrast, undamped oscillations occur when the energy in a system remains constant, resulting in a constant amplitude.

How are electrical oscillations measured?

Electrical oscillations can be measured using an oscilloscope, which is an electronic device that displays the waveform of an electrical signal. The amplitude, frequency, and period of the oscillations can be determined by analyzing the waveform on the oscilloscope screen.