Why Is Electrical Power Conducted at High Voltages?

In summary, power is conducted at high voltages in order to decrease the current flow and reduce the amount of copper needed, thus keeping costs, weight, and size down. However, there is a compromise as higher voltages make it harder to insulate windings. It is important to understand the basic quantities in electricity, such as charge, current, potential, energy, and power. The equation P = V*I shows that the more volts there are, the fewer amps are needed to transmit a given power, which helps reduce losses in power lines.
electro_DS
Hey guys why is power conducted at very high voltages? doesn't that increase the current and thus the heat generated because p=v.i?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are looking at it the wrong way round, if you are designing an alternator for a given power the current flow will decrease as the voltage increases, having lower current means that you need less copper to conduct the current thus keeping your costs, weight and size down. There is a problem the higher the voltage the harder it is to insulate the windings, as in all engineering you end up with a compromise

If you're going to dabble in electricity it's important to get straight in your head the basic quantities' names and meaniings

Charge
Current
Potential
Energy
Power

The answer to your question is in your question: ""because p=v.i? ""
Indeed , Power = volts X amps
To transmit a given power, the more volts you have the fewer amps you need to accomplish that.

old jim

Just to throw my two cents here;

Technically P = V*I*cos(θ)
So, in order to have a small amount of current, which also reduces losses in power lines (P = R * I^2), you need a higher voltage.

1. Why is electrical power conducted at high voltages?

Electrical power is conducted at high voltages in order to reduce the amount of energy lost during transmission. As voltage increases, the amount of current needed to transmit the same amount of power decreases. This results in lower energy losses and higher efficiency.

2. How does high voltage help with long distance transmission of power?

High voltage allows for power to be transmitted over longer distances without significant energy losses. This is because higher voltage levels require less current to transmit the same amount of power, reducing the resistance and minimizing energy losses.

3. Is it safe to use high voltage for power transmission?

While high voltage can be dangerous if not handled properly, it is safe for power transmission as long as proper safety measures are in place. Power lines are designed and insulated to handle high voltage levels and trained professionals handle the transmission process.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using high voltage for power transmission?

One potential drawback of using high voltage for power transmission is the higher cost of equipment needed to handle the high voltage levels. Additionally, high voltage power lines may require more land and have stricter safety regulations, which could be seen as drawbacks.

5. Can high voltage cause damage to electrical equipment?

If not handled properly, high voltage can cause damage to electrical equipment. However, modern equipment is designed to handle high voltage levels and precautions are taken during the transmission process to prevent damage. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use properly rated equipment when working with high voltage electricity.