Size of a 20MW Synchronous Motor for Ship Propulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the size of a 20MW synchronous motor needed to drive a ship's propeller and compares it to the size of nuclear submarine motors. The P&O ship "Aurora" is mentioned as using 20 MW motors, but the exact size is not specified. The conversation then delves into the specifications of nuclear submarine motors and provides a link to a website with more information. The conversation concludes with a question about the drawing of "Aurora" and whether it can determine the motor size.
gcomyn
Does anyone know how big a 20MW synchronous motor would be to drive a ship's propellor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How big are nuclear submarine motors? Off to google I go...

The P&O ship "Aurora" uses 20 MW motors but I can't find how big they are anywhere...

berkeman said:
How big are nuclear submarine motors? Off to google I go...
I googled nuclear submarine motor size, and got lots of hits. Here's one of the first ones -- pretty interesting info:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-688.htm

Power Plant One S6G reactor
one shaft at 35,000 shp
Improved Performance Machinery Program Phase I [on 688 Improved]

Length 360 feet (109.73 meters)

Beam 33 feet (10 meters)

Oops, I just reallized that they drive the propeller shaft directly with the hot water turbine, not via an electric motor. My bad. But 35,000 shp is about 26MW, which is in your size range. Hmmm, what else uses a motor that size... Maybe an old diesel submarine. I'd head off to google again, but I need to get back to work...here comes the boss! :biggrin:

"Aurora" datasheet here
http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Article%20Chest/Cruise%20Ship%20Diesel%20Electric%20Propulsion.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
gcomyn said:
"Aurora" datasheet here
http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Article%20Chest/Cruise%20Ship%20Diesel%20Electric%20Propulsion.pdf
Well if that drawing is to scale, then that gives you the motor size, right? Is that what you're looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electrical ship propulsion?

Electrical ship propulsion is a method of powering ships using electricity as the main source of energy instead of traditional fuels like diesel or gasoline. This is achieved by using electric motors connected to a power source such as batteries, generators, or fuel cells to turn the ship's propellers.

2. How does electrical ship propulsion work?

Electrical ship propulsion works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is then used to turn the propellers and move the ship forward. This is done by using electric motors, which can be powered by various sources such as batteries, generators, or fuel cells.

3. What are the advantages of electrical ship propulsion?

One of the main advantages of electrical ship propulsion is its environmental friendliness. Since it uses electricity as the main source of energy, it produces no emissions and is therefore much cleaner than traditional propulsion methods. It also allows for more precise control of the ship's speed and direction, and can potentially reduce maintenance costs.

4. What are the challenges of implementing electrical ship propulsion?

One of the main challenges of implementing electrical ship propulsion is the high initial cost. The technology and infrastructure required for this type of propulsion can be expensive, making it less accessible for smaller ships. There are also challenges with the storage and management of the electrical energy, as well as the need for backup systems in case of power failure.

5. Are there any ships currently using electrical propulsion?

Yes, there are several ships currently using electrical propulsion, including ferries, tugboats, and research vessels. The technology is also being adopted by larger ships such as cruise ships and cargo vessels, with some estimates showing that up to 30% of new ships will use electrical propulsion by 2030.