Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical storms in Satturn

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

That's just specifying that the storm has lightning. For example, there are often high winds on Jupiter, that are not accompanied by lighting. These would technically be "storms," but not electrical storms.

4. May 2, 2008 #3
    That is co-incidence!

I was just reading that there was lightning on Venus!
    It was written that electrical activity in the Venusian atmosphere is providing new clues to understanding terrestrial lightning!

5. May 2, 2008 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yeah, from what I nuderstand, there's almost continual lightning on Venus. If you stood on the surface, anywhere on the surface, you would observe ligthing and thunder every few seconds, maybe every couple.

'Course, then you'd simultaneously crumple from the pressure, cook from the heat, and spit your lungs out in large chunks from the acid atmosphere.
    -But the lighting would be kinda cool.

6. May 3, 2008 #5
    But there are funnier questions existing about this topic to make your mind think that why there should be any lightning on Venus?
    Venus has terrestrial smog clouds which do not produce lightning and the every cloud causing lightning on Venus is associated with sulfuric acid! These make the topic really......well, I can't describe it! But you might say that, " But why shouldn't the terrestrial smog clouds not cause lightning on Venus just because they don't cause lightning on Earth?"
    The answer is that, isn't Venus supposed to be Earth's Twin Planet and have similar mass, density and chemical composition? Well, that solves the smog cloud problem, but why the presence of Sulphuric Acid.
    But something struck me.If the clouds which cause lighning, cause rain, .....raining sulphuric acid? Acid rain!!!!
    Well.....????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?