1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical toys

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    i am doing an EEI on electrical toys. the toy ive chosen is Shocking Roulette, can any one tell me how they work or link me to a site which has what parts are used etc.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's an EEI?

I never heard of "shocking roulette, google finds

http://www.zymetrical.com/product.asp?3=622&dc=3h5b42e&gclid=CIqw3JXboYUCFRsmPwodYG2GvQ

I don't know how they work.

For back pain, they make "shocking" devices with a more medicinal purpose, called "Tens" units. Tens units work by generating very short pulses through pulse transformers, IIRC. (The pulse transformer raises the voltage of an otherwise low-voltage pulse). The idea behind the Tens unit is to stimulate nerves without having a long enough electrical impulse to stimulate muscles, even if the pulse reaches a muscle (such as, worst case, the heart).

There's a fair amount of info on tens units available on the WWW. You might even find schematics.

I think there are some perscription/licensiing/regulatory issues for medical devices like the Tens unit - the "shocking roulette" doesn't look like it meets any of those. The physical design of the unit I saw on google looks like any current generated would only flow through the finger and not reach the heart.

The "killer" in electricity is any path through the heart. If a path throught he heart is avoided, the main damange mechanism for electrical shock is by heating (burning) as far as I know, but I'm not an expert.

4. May 30, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I know pretty much nothing about electronics, but I might have a bit of an insight into this. A friend of mine once had a piezoelectric butane lighter that didn't work properly. Just a valve problem, but of course I had to disassemble the whole thing to see what made it tick. When I put it back together, I inadvertently left out a small mica spacer that apparently shielded the case from the spark mechanism. Got a nasty bit of surprise when I tried to light the thing. :surprised
    After I put the spacer back where it belonged, there was no problem.

5. May 31, 2006 #4
    EEI = Extended Experimental Investigation

Shock Roulette is a game for 4 people and acts like russian roulette where someone is randomly shocked through the finger...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook