1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ElectricalE vs. ComputerE

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    I know this have been questioned and asked about a lot, but I still cannot decide what to choose. I know I would like CE more as I love programming also. However, CE and EE have a problem in my country; A lot of people study them that their are no job opportunities in both branches, I am just concerned I won't find an appropriate job if I took CE. I love both circuit designing and software engineering. I would also like to learn how to design circuits for electrical devices other than computer. I'm really confused as you can see!
    I have a background of what is going on behind the scenes of computers because of programming (such as logical gates and binary), I'm an amateur C♯ programmer, too.

Can you just provide me with what jobs that both CE and EE provide? Regarding whatever region you are in.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2
    The real answer depends on the institution's curriculum for both CE and EE degrees. I've seen some programs where CE was nothing more than replacing the electromagnetics/power courses with programming/computer architecture courses. At one University, I remember it took only 12 credits extra to get both degrees as opposed to just 1.

Many employer's out there hire CE and EE graduates for the same positions. EE can usually get any job that a CE can get, especially if they take the appropriate electives and develop the right skills while in school. Both degrees are great for circuit design, though CE tend to focus more on digital design than they do analog. The only advantage that an EE degree has is the capability of working in fields that are more physics related (which means broader opportunities). On the other hand, CE will have more courses focused towards digital design, computer architecture and programming.

If you absolutely know that you want to do digital design (logic gates and binary, like you said), then computer engineering is more than likely your best bet. Either way, the first two (or three) years are nearly identical, so just start off with one and as you start taking classes you will have a better idea of which field is more suitable for you, at which point you can switch if necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook