CE vs. EE: Which Degree Offers More Job Opportunities and Circuit Design Focus?

• Thread starter imadnsn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between choosing a career in computer engineering (CE) or electrical engineering (EE). The individual is concerned about job opportunities in their country for both branches and is unsure which one to pursue. They have a background in programming and an interest in both circuit designing and software engineering. The answer to what jobs both CE and EE provide depends on the institution's curriculum and many employers hire graduates from both fields for the same positions. CE tends to focus more on digital design while EE has a broader range of opportunities. Ultimately, it is recommended to start with one and switch if necessary after taking classes and gaining a better understanding of each field.
imadnsn
I know this have been questioned and asked about a lot, but I still cannot decide what to choose. I know I would like CE more as I love programming also. However, CE and EE have a problem in my country; A lot of people study them that their are no job opportunities in both branches, I am just concerned I won't find an appropriate job if I took CE. I love both circuit designing and software engineering. I would also like to learn how to design circuits for electrical devices other than computer. I'm really confused as you can see!
I have a background of what is going on behind the scenes of computers because of programming (such as logical gates and binary), I'm an amateur C♯ programmer, too.

Can you just provide me with what jobs that both CE and EE provide? Regarding whatever region you are in.

Physics news on Phys.org
The real answer depends on the institution's curriculum for both CE and EE degrees. I've seen some programs where CE was nothing more than replacing the electromagnetics/power courses with programming/computer architecture courses. At one University, I remember it took only 12 credits extra to get both degrees as opposed to just 1.

Many employer's out there hire CE and EE graduates for the same positions. EE can usually get any job that a CE can get, especially if they take the appropriate electives and develop the right skills while in school. Both degrees are great for circuit design, though CE tend to focus more on digital design than they do analog. The only advantage that an EE degree has is the capability of working in fields that are more physics related (which means broader opportunities). On the other hand, CE will have more courses focused towards digital design, computer architecture and programming.

If you absolutely know that you want to do digital design (logic gates and binary, like you said), then computer engineering is more than likely your best bet. Either way, the first two (or three) years are nearly identical, so just start off with one and as you start taking classes you will have a better idea of which field is more suitable for you, at which point you can switch if necessary.

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study, design, and application of electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution. Computer Engineering, on the other hand, combines principles of electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware.

2. Can an Electrical Engineer work as a Computer Engineer and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both fields, they are distinct disciplines with different focuses. An Electrical Engineer may have some knowledge of computer engineering, but they may not have the same level of expertise as a Computer Engineer. Similarly, a Computer Engineer may not have the same level of knowledge in electrical engineering as an Electrical Engineer.

3. Which field has better job prospects, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering?

Both Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering have excellent job prospects, as they are both in high demand in various industries. It ultimately depends on an individual's interests and skills, as well as the current job market in a specific location.

4. Do Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineers work on the same projects?

While there may be some projects that require collaboration between Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineers, they typically work on different projects. Electrical Engineers may work on projects related to power systems, control systems, and electronics, while Computer Engineers may work on projects related to computer hardware, software, and networking.

5. Is one field more difficult than the other?

Both Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering require a strong aptitude for math and problem-solving skills. The difficulty level may vary depending on an individual's strengths and interests. Some may find the complex circuit analysis in Electrical Engineering more challenging, while others may struggle with the programming and coding aspects in Computer Engineering.