1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrically charged sphere

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere of radius ##a## is non-uniformly charged on its surface with a charge whose surface density is ##ρ_s(φ)=ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2## where ##φ## is the angle measures from the z axis, (0≤φ≤π) and ##ρ_{s0}## is a constant. Determine the expression for the total charge distributed on the sphere.
    2. Relevant equations
    ##dQ=ρ_sdS##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I know im supposed to find the small surface element on which to integrate but the surface charge density is given by the angle and how am i supposed to make the surface element be in angle form. I tried thinking like this: In a circle the element ##dL## that is the small part of the circumference is ##rdφ## but dont know how to use that on the sphere..
    The solution should be ##Q=\frac{4π}{3}ρ_{s0}a^2##
    The problem i have now is how to start. I have to find the surface element and i dont know how, can you help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3
    Hi, its great to be here :D
    I have solved the problem, i figured that the part of the sphere that is under the fixed angle can be integrated,
    ##dA=2rπdl## where the circumference at some radius ##r## that is equal to ##r=asinφ## multiplied by the ##dl## element equaling to ##adφ## gives out the area and the integral becomes ##Q=∫2πa^2ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2sinφ## integrated on the interval ##[0,π]## but just out of curiosity how would i use the area you provided?
    The surface element is ##dA=a^2sinφdφdθ## and the integral becomes ##Q=∫ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2a^2sinφdφdθ##? There are two differentials now, how to use this?

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The integral with respect to θ is easy, so do that first.

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5
    Well the limits are ##[0, π]## so it should be ##π## right? But then Im mising a factor of ##2## so it should be ##2π## somehow..

7. Oct 26, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In polar, to cover the sphere, one angle goes 0 to π and the other from 0 to 2π.

8. Oct 26, 2016 #7
    So i integrate one angle from ##[0, π]## and the other ##[0, 2π]##? How would i put the limits for the general expression?

9. Oct 26, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asking about the notation? ##\int^{\pi}_{\phi=0}\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0}##.

10. Oct 26, 2016 #9
    oh yeah it would be a double integral, thanks :D!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted