Electrically Sheilded Antenna

• Thread starter dmorris619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, it is possible to have a multi-turn electrically shielded loop antenna, but it requires a break in the shield at some point. Shielding the antenna will not help because the electric field is not constant throughout the antenna.
dmorris619
I am trying to get an understanding of how to create an electrically shielded loop antenna. Is it possible to have a multi-turn electrically shielded antenna?

Also how does an electric field create interference with the loop antenna? Is it because the electric field is not constant throughout the antenna?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your antenna is shielded it will not work as an antenna.

JimmyAlz said:
If your antenna is shielded it will not work as an antenna.

It's a trick with loop antennas -- see my next post (in a couple minutes).

dmorris619 said:
I am trying to get an understanding of how to create an electrically shielded loop antenna. Is it possible to have a multi-turn electrically shielded antenna?

Also how does an electric field create interference with the loop antenna? Is it because the electric field is not constant throughout the antenna?

An electrically shielded loop probe or antenna is commonly a single turn, often made out of coax cable. You break the shield at one end of the loop (typically the end away from the feedpoint), so that you do not create a shorted turn around the loop (which would prevent most magnetic coupling to the loop, depending on the quality and construction of the shield.

I'm only familiar with single-loop shielded probes/antennas, but it seems like it should work for multi-turn loops as well. Just be sure to provide a single break in the shield at some point in the circumference, so that the incoming B-field can couple to the turns.

Oh, and why use shielded loop antennas -- yes, typically it is because of nearby capacitively-coupled E-field noise. The example that I'm most familiar with is B-field probes for PCB EMI tracing. You want to be able to hold your small loop probe on the PCB and geometrically trace out RF currents that are getting out of your device and causing radiated EMI problems, but you only want to sense the B-fields generated by the RF PCB currents. There is plenty of capacitive pickup into the loop probe if it is not shielded...

Last edited:
I am designing a loop antenna for a senior design project and the customer asked what I thought about electrically shielding the antenna. Essentially I am so green to designing antennas that I cannot speak with confidence on whether or not I need to shield the antenna.

Heres what my antenna needs to be able to be capable of, detect magnetic fields from 60Hz to 100KHz, from a magnitude of .1 microtesla to 10 microtesla. At that level my customer and to the degree that I can be are concerned that the electrical noise from the surrounding environment(this will be near electrical cables carrying 120 volts ac) will drown the magnetic signal we are trying to read.

Do you think it is necessary to shield the loop antenna? Also the kicker is that the antenna diameter can't be more than 5.25 inches, which is why I'm asking about multi-turn loops.

dmorris619 said:
I am designing a loop antenna for a senior design project and the customer asked what I thought about electrically shielding the antenna. Essentially I am so green to designing antennas that I cannot speak with confidence on whether or not I need to shield the antenna.

Heres what my antenna needs to be able to be capable of, detect magnetic fields from 60Hz to 100KHz, from a magnitude of .1 microtesla to 10 microtesla. At that level my customer and to the degree that I can be are concerned that the electrical noise from the surrounding environment(this will be near electrical cables carrying 120 volts ac) will drown the magnetic signal we are trying to read.

Do you think it is necessary to shield the loop antenna? Also the kicker is that the antenna diameter can't be more than 5.25 inches, which is why I'm asking about multi-turn loops.

That's a very low frequency range, and problematic because it includes AC Mains frequencies (50/60Hz). What is this antenna supposed to pick up?

For low frequencies, a ferrite rod antenna is more typically used. Here is a recent PF thread where we discussed them:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=450045

Alright!
Every day you learn something new :)

This antenna is supposed to just read the intensity of the magnetic field. Eventually it will be read by a microprocessor and then Fourier Transformed to give a frequency breakdown of the magnetic field.

It should pick up the magnetic field of the AC Mains.

1. What is an electrically shielded antenna?

An electrically shielded antenna is a type of antenna designed to reduce the amount of interference from outside electrical sources. It is composed of a conductive material that surrounds the antenna and helps to block unwanted signals.

2. How does an electrically shielded antenna work?

An electrically shielded antenna works by using the conductive material surrounding it to create a Faraday cage. This cage blocks out external electrical signals, allowing the antenna to only pick up the desired signal.

3. What are the benefits of using an electrically shielded antenna?

The main benefit of using an electrically shielded antenna is that it helps to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, resulting in a clearer and stronger signal. It also helps to reduce interference from other electrical devices, improving the overall performance of the antenna.

4. Where are electrically shielded antennas commonly used?

Electrically shielded antennas are commonly used in environments where there is a lot of electrical interference, such as in urban areas or near power lines. They are also commonly used in electronic devices, such as smartphones and laptops, to improve the reception of wireless signals.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an electrically shielded antenna?

One potential drawback of using an electrically shielded antenna is that it can be more expensive than other types of antennas. Additionally, if not properly designed and installed, it may also block out desired signals along with unwanted interference.