1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electriccal charges and vectors

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    Code (Text):
    +q    -a-    -q

|            |
    a            a
    |            |

+2q   -a-  -2q
    What are the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant electrostatic force on the charge in the lower left corner of the square if q = 0.9 10-7 C and a = 4.4 cm? (Assume the positive directions are upward and to the right.)

For the horizontal component I got .0013081 N and for the Vertical I got 4.321 N, but neither one is correct.

I found the charge between +2q and -2q, and then I added the charge from +2q to -q times cos(45). That should have given me the horizontal charge but it didn't. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2
    your answer for the horizontal component is a factor of 2 off (that is my answer is twice the value of your answer), did you account for the 2q?

edit: if show your equations we can see exactly where an error occured

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    If your answer is .0026162 N that isn't correct either. I don't really know how to show the calculations here though.

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    The exact answer I got was .026626077 N, which is assuming that the positive direction is to the right. What does the book say the correct answer is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?