Electricity and Magnetism Question (Capacitor). .

In summary, a 1 micro F capacitor, a 10 ohm resistor, and a 1 micro H inductor are connected in series with a sinusoidal signal generator of 10V peak voltage amplitude operating at a frequency of 100 rad/s. The amplitude of current oscillations in the circuit is 1 A, and the phase shift between the current and the generator voltage is -39.19 degrees, indicating that the current lags the voltage.
Partap03
Okay, I will be honest, this is a homework assignment. For that matter this is the last homework assignment which is very crucial to preparing for the final. But the problem is I have 2 more finals for which I need to study for. So if you can please help me out and give a detailed solution I will appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

A 1 micro F capacitor, a 10 ohm resistor and a 1 micro H inductor are connected in series with a sinusoidal signal generator of 10V peak voltage amplitude operating at a frequency of 100 rad/s.
a) Find the amplitude of current oscillations in the circuit.
b) Find the phase shift between the current and the generator voltage. Does the current lead the voltage or vice-versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The amplitude of current oscillations in the circuit can be found using Ohm's Law:I = V/R Where V is the voltage of the signal generator and R is the resistance of the 10 ohm resistor.So, I = 10/10 = 1 A.b) The phase shift between the current and the generator voltage can be calculated using the formula: phase shift = arctan(Xc/Xl)Where Xc is the capacitive reactance and Xl is the inductive reactance.Xc = 1/2πfC = 1/2π(100)(1x10^-6) = 15915.9 ohmsXl = 2πfL = 2π(100)(1x10^-6) = 6283.2 ohmsUsing the above values in the formula, the phase shift is -39.19 degrees. This means that the current lags the voltage, i.e. the current is behind the voltage by 39.19 degrees.

I understand the importance of balancing multiple responsibilities and studying for exams. I will do my best to provide a detailed solution to your question.

First, let's start by understanding the components in the circuit. A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. Its unit of measurement is Farad (F), and in this circuit, we are given a 1 micro F capacitor. A resistor is a component that resists the flow of current, and its unit of measurement is ohm (Ω). In this circuit, we have a 10 ohm resistor. An inductor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. Its unit of measurement is Henry (H), and in this circuit, we have a 1 micro H inductor.

Now, let's solve for the amplitude of current oscillations in the circuit. We can use the formula for impedance (Z) in a series circuit, which is Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. In this case, R = 10 Ω, Xl = ωL = (100 rad/s)(1 micro H) = 0.1 Ω, and Xc = 1/(ωC) = 1/(100 rad/s)(1 micro F) = 0.01 Ω. Therefore, Z = √(10^2 + (0.1 - 0.01)^2) = √100.09 = 10.0045 Ω.

We can now use Ohm's law (V = IZ) to solve for the current (I) in the circuit. The peak voltage amplitude is given as 10V, so V = 10V. Therefore, I = V/Z = (10V)/(10.0045 Ω) = 0.9999 A. This is the amplitude of current oscillations in the circuit.

Next, to find the phase shift between the current and the generator voltage, we need to use the formula φ = arctan((Xl - Xc)/R). In this case, φ = arctan((0.1 - 0.01)/10) = arctan(0.009) = 0.9

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive material, called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its plates. When connected to a power source, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The dielectric material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing between them, creating an electric field and storing energy.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the Farad (F). A capacitor with a capacitance of 1 Farad can store 1 Coulomb of charge when connected to a 1 Volt power source.

4. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a capacitor is calculated by dividing the electric charge stored on the plates by the voltage difference between the plates. It is also affected by the surface area of the plates and the type of dielectric material used.

5. What are some common uses for capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used to filter out unwanted signals, store energy for power backup, and regulate voltage levels. They are also used in audio equipment, electric motors, and many other electronic devices.