Electricity and Magnetism Question (Related to circuits). .

In summary, the potential energy of a 1.0 E -6 F capacitor with a charge of 10.0 micro C is compared to the potential energy of a 1.0 H inductor at t = 0. The potential energy is based on the voltage across each component, which can be solved for by using the equation V = Q / C. If the components are in series, the rest of the circuit would affect the approach to the problem. If they are in parallel, one component would act as a short to the other. The decay constant would also play a role in the comparison of potential energies.
Partap03
A 1.0 E -6 F capacitor has a charge of 10.0 micro C. It is connected to a 1.0 H inductor at t = 0. Compare the potential energy of the capacitor to the potential energy of the inductor at t = 10s. Which energy is greater?

Physics news on Phys.org
Partap03 said:
A 1.0 E -6 F capacitor has a charge of 10.0 micro C. It is connected to a 1.0 H inductor at t = 0. Compare the potential energy of the capacitor to the potential energy of the inductor at t = 10s. Which energy is greater?

Welcome to PF.

Connected how?

And what are your thoughts on it?

First of all thanks.

My thoughts

I know that potential energy is basically voltage across each component.
Also, C = Q / (change in V) ; C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is volts.
solving for change in V and we get
V = Q / C

Am I going in the right direction?

Partap03 said:
First of all thanks.

My thoughts

I know that potential energy is basically voltage across each component.
Also, C = Q / (change in V) ; C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is volts.
solving for change in V and we get
V = Q / C

Am I going in the right direction?

First of all I don't know how it's connected. Is the inductor in || to the capacitor? What is the circuit?

LowlyPion said:
First of all I don't know how it's connected. Is the inductor in || to the capacitor? What is the circuit?

That's all the problem says. Let's assume that it is in series then how would I approach the problem?

Partap03 said:
That's all the problem says. Let's assume that it is in series then how would I approach the problem?

If it is in series then I think it matters what the rest of the circuit would be.

If it is in || then one is a short to the other isn't it?

Isn't the decay constant pretty swift?

1. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits is the direction of the flow of electricity. In an AC circuit, the flow of electricity periodically reverses direction, while in a DC circuit, the flow of electricity only goes in one direction. Additionally, AC circuits are typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC circuits are more commonly used for smaller electronic devices.

2. How do you calculate the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In mathematical terms, this can be written as R = V/I. Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

3. What is the purpose of a circuit breaker?

A circuit breaker is a safety device that is used to protect electrical circuits from damage caused by excessive current. It works by automatically cutting off the flow of electricity when it detects a surge in current, preventing potential fires or damage to electrical devices.

4. How does a capacitor work in a circuit?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores and releases electric charge. In a circuit, a capacitor works by storing energy when it is connected to a power source, and then releasing that energy when the power source is disconnected. This allows it to smooth out fluctuations in voltage and provide a steady flow of electricity.

5. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a circuit by moving a magnet or changing the magnetic field around the circuit. This phenomenon is the basis for the function of generators and transformers, and plays a crucial role in the production and transmission of electricity.