Electricity and magnetism question

In summary, the speaker is having trouble starting a physics problem but believes they can solve it if they can get past the first question. They have scanned the problem and are looking for someone to point them in the right direction and explain how to approach the problem. The problem involves finding the electric force on a drop and the speaker believes the rest of the problem is relatively simple.
benji
I'm having trouble starting this problem... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out if I can just get past the first question.

I scanned the sheet because I'm lazy and I thought that you'd be able to understand the problem better that way anyways.

So if someone could just point me in the right direction (which way to go about this problem and why) and I think I'll be set.

Here's the sheet:

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/7502/physicsproblem8zr.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
benji said:
I'm having trouble starting this problem... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out if I can just get past the first question.

I scanned the sheet because I'm lazy and I thought that you'd be able to understand the problem better that way anyways.

So if someone could just point me in the right direction (which way to go about this problem and why) and I think I'll be set.
The electric force on the drop is upward and equal to its weight. Work out the force from the electric field (ie. E = force/unit charge).

The rest is pretty basic.

AM

Hi there,

I can definitely understand your frustration with starting a problem in electricity and magnetism. It can be a challenging subject, but with some guidance, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

Looking at the problem on the sheet, it seems like you are dealing with a circuit with a battery, resistor, and an inductor. The first step would be to identify the given values for each component and write them down. Then, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to find the current in the circuit.

Next, you can use the equation for the voltage drop across an inductor (V=Ldi/dt) to find the inductor's current. From there, you can use Kirchhoff's loop rule to find the voltage drop across the resistor.

Remember to pay attention to the direction of the current and voltage in the circuit, as it will affect your calculations. Also, make sure to use the correct units for each quantity.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are both fundamental forces of nature, but they have distinct characteristics. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force that results from the movement of electric charges. In other words, electricity is a form of energy, while magnetism is a force that can act on objects with magnetic properties.

2. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related because they are both caused by the movement of electric charges. When electric charges move, they create a magnetic field, and when a magnetic field changes, it can produce an electric current. This relationship is known as electromagnetism and is explained by Maxwell's equations.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two different types of electric currents. AC electricity is the type of current that is supplied to our homes and is constantly changing direction. DC electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries. Most electronic devices use DC electricity, while the electricity from power plants is AC.

4. How do electric circuits work?

Electric circuits are systems that allow the flow of electric current. They are made up of a power source (such as a battery), conductors (like wires), and loads (such as light bulbs). The electric current flows from the power source, through the conductors, and to the loads, which convert the electrical energy into other forms of energy, such as light or heat.

5. How are magnets created?

Magnets are created by aligning the magnetic domains in a material. Magnetic domains are small groups of atoms that act like tiny magnets. When these domains are aligned, they create a magnetic field. Magnets can be created by placing a ferromagnetic material (such as iron) in a strong magnetic field or by running an electric current through a wire wrapped around a ferromagnetic material.