What is the Tension in a Conducting Wire Connecting Two Charged Spheres?

In summary, a charge of 53 uC is placed on one of the conductors. The tension in the wire is found to be equal to the charge.
feelau

Homework Statement

Two identical conducting spheres each having a radius of .5 cm are connected by a light 2.3 m long conducting wire. A charge of 53 uC is placed on one of the conductors. Assume that the surface distribution of charge on each sphere is uniform. Determine the tension in the wire.

Homework Equations

F(electricity)=(k*q1*q2)/r^2
E=Q/epsilon
E=F/Q
F(electric)-T=0

3. Attempt
Since it's connected by a wire(I'm not sure how the wire plays a roll in this other than tension), I said that the charge instantaneously distributes to the other spheres so that both of them will have equal amount of charge(I'm not sure if the assumption is correct) I then solved for F(electric) which is equal to T, but I'm missing something because answer is not right. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much charge did you put on each sphere?
What distance did you use for the separation?

well the the thing is I wasn't sure what the length of wire is for, now I think I know it's for how far apart they are. For the F(electric) and the question just says 53uC of charge is put into one sphere so I assumed there were no charges in them beforehand. So then, I assumed that each sphere will have 26.5 uC of charge so F(electric) would just be (k*q^2)/(length of wire)^2? But it seems like since they're spheres and not point charge(unless that's what we're suppose to assume) I need to include another equation?

the uniform charge distribution hints that the effective points are the centers of the spheres

so that means we can take into account that they're just like pt charges then?
So the distance between them is the length of wire and they both have same charge correct? So I just use F(electric)=k(q^2)/distance of wire^2 then i putinto force equation?

feelau said:
so that means we can take into account that they're just like pt charges then?
Exactly
feelau said:
So the distance between them is the length of wire and they both have same charge correct?
Not quite. You need the distance between the centers of the spheres.

ah, my TA talked about this and he said that since r is so small, it's negligible

Why wouldn't you include it, however? It's no harder to enter the correct value (2.31) than the wrong one (2.3)...

What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is caused by the movement of electrons. It can be generated by various sources such as power plants, batteries, and solar panels.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that causes objects to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the alignment of the magnetic fields of particles, such as electrons, in a material.

How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related as they both involve the movement of electrons. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a wire.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction. Most household appliances use AC electricity, while batteries and electronics often use DC electricity.

How is electricity and magnetism used in everyday life?

Electricity and magnetism have countless applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include powering our homes and electronic devices, powering transportation systems, and the use of magnets in speakers and motors. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes such as electric motors and generators.