Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity at minute levels

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    HI! i only know about the basics of current and electricity , but, i wanted to ask this..

the drift velocity in electrons is approx 10^-4 and thermal velocity is 10^6 m/s , which is not very large compared to the length of wires connecting power stations and homes , but still we get electricity within seconds ... how can this be ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best arm waving answer I can think of is to liken the electrons to links in a chain. The energy gets from one end of the chain to the other as soon as you apply the force - the only delay being due to the speed that the links can pass on the tension from one to another (the speed of the wave / tension pulse along the chain). The links move at a few cm per second.

In the case of electrical power transfer, the wave carrying the energy moves at just a little short of the speed of light.

And you get 'the electricity', not in "seconds" but in microseconds :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook