1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity book recommendation

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1
    Hey PF,
    I've studied electrostatics and electrodynamics in the past years in high school, but it was just school-study I never had a chance to thoroughly understand them,
    I'd like to read and learn more about electrostatics and electrodynamics on my holiday, so I'd like anyone to recommend a good book that thoroughly, and intuitively explains electrostatics and electrodynamics and suits my level, I'd prefer the book to be even higher than high school level,
    "electrostatics and electrodynamics" in two separate books or in the same book it won't really matter. Thanks a lot btw !!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

The biggest problem you will have in learning from a more advanced book is calculus, specifically vector calculus. All the more advanced books will use it throughout.

Here are two books that you could use (assuming they are available to you):

https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Ana...&qid=1404498410&sr=1-1&keywords=thomas+finney
    https://www.amazon.com/Electromagne...d_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=04GW2CF3J4P0AVWD9B8D

What you want to know is in these books but learning it will be very difficult. But if you combine these with the MIT 18.01, 18.02, 8.02 video lectures, it should be doable. Difficult, time consuming, but doable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 4, 2014 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

5. Jul 5, 2014 #4
    My calculus is so basic

6. Jul 5, 2014 #5
    Feynman's lectures, Volume II is good as a supplement (doesn't have problems).

7. Jul 5, 2014 #6

verty

Homework Helper

That's what I was worried about. Without calculus, you would need to use an AP book like Giancoli but that will be exactly what you have already learned, I suspect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook