1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity - Charges

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If an electroscope has a positive charge of 7.5 x 10[tex]^{-11}[/tex]C, how many electrons have been removed from the electroscope, if it was originally neutral?

(Answer: 4.7 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex])

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know :shy:

3. The attempt at a solution
    Guys I seriously am clueless with this question. I understand basic electricity a little, like circuits, but I don't even know where to start with this. I have all formulas required, but I don't know which one to use, and my exam is tomorrow :uhh:

There are also some other questions which I'll probably post later, I'm really stuck on this, and your help is appreciated... a lot!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the charge of a single electron?

4. Jun 23, 2008 #3
    -1?? I don't know to be honest with you.

5. Jun 23, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

an electron has a charge of [itex]-1.6 \times 10^{-19}[/itex]

6. Jun 23, 2008 #5
    Okay, thanks.. but how do I put that into the question??

7. Jun 23, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The charge on the scope= Ne
    where N=No of electons and e=charge on one electron

8. Jun 23, 2008 #7
    well... what you told me is like a completely new language to me... thanks for the help, but i really don't understand it (i understand what you're saying but i don't know what to do with that)... is there a specific equation i can use?

EDIT: I'm going to bed, my exam's early in the morning... I guess electricity won't be that great on the exam. Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  9. Jun 24, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might have been beneficial to include units (Coulombs) in that answer, but anyway it's a moot point now.

10. Jun 24, 2008 #9
    Well I did the exam today so i'm done with physics for now... no need for the answer... I think I did pretty decent on the exam... no questions like that, though.

Thanks everyone for the help.

11. Jun 24, 2008 #10
    well...at least everything well

12. Jun 24, 2008 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Even though it's up to you to want to know the answer, IMO it's best to understand how to get the answer so in case you are presented with a similar question,you'd know how to get through it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?