Electricity Confusion: True or False?

In summary, charged particles follow the direction of the electric field lines, with positive charges going with the flow and negative charges going against the flow. Letting a particle do what it wants results in a loss of energy, while forcing it to do something against its will results in a gain of energy. Going with the flow also leads to a loss of voltage, while going against the flow leads to a gain of voltage. All charged particles move from high potential energy to low potential energy, with positive charges moving from high electric potential to low electric potential and negative charges moving from low electric potential to high electric potential. This is all based on the equations Delta PE = -qE(Delta X), Delta V = (Delta
MrMumbleX
PLEASE help me by telling me if the following is true (below, when I say going with the flow I mean following the direction of electric field, and when I saw going against flow I mean going in opposite direction of electric field)

Positive charges go with the flow
Negative charges go against the flow
Letting something do what it want to do is loss of energy (I.E., letting gas expand; letting a positive charge go in direction of field lines)
Making it do what it doesn’t want to do is gain of energy (I.E., compressing gas; forcing a positive charge go in direction opposite field lines)
Going with flow is loss of V
Going against flow is gain of V
ALL charged particles go from high PE to low PE
Positive charges go from high electric potential to low electric potential
Negative charges go from low electric potential to high electric potential

This is all based on the equations Delta PE = -qE(Delta X), Delta V = (Delta PE)/q, and V = -E(Delta X), V is voltage (potential difference), q is charge, E is electric field in the x-axis, and X is the position in the x-axis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MrMumbleX said:
PLEASE help me by telling mel me if the following is true (below, when I say going with the flow I mean following the field lines direction, and when I saw going against flow I mean going in opposite direction of field lines)

Protons go with the flow
Electrons go against the flow
Letting it do what it wants is loss of energy
Letting it do what it doesn’t want is gain of energy
Going with flow is loss of V
Going against flow is gain of V

This is all based on the equations Delta PE = -qE(Delta X), Delta V = (Delta PE)/q, and V = -E(Delta X), V is voltage (potential difference), q is charge, E is electric field in the x-axis, and X is the position in the x-axis.

That will basically be true if you replace energy by potential energy (e.g. "Letting it do what it wants is loss of potential energy"), but of course total energy is conserved and a proton "going with the flow" will gain kinetic energy.

Another thing is that the direction of motion will be along the field lines only if the particle starts from rest and you look just an instant later. A particle has inertia, so its acceleration will go in the direction of the field or directly opposite, but its velocity does not need to.

Yeah I meant potential energy

1. Is electricity a form of energy?

Yes, electricity is a form of energy. It is a result of the movement of electrons, which creates a flow of energy that can power devices and machines.

2. Can electricity be created or destroyed?

No, electricity cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another, such as from chemical energy to electrical energy.

3. Does electricity always follow the path of least resistance?

No, electricity does not always follow the path of least resistance. It will follow any path that offers the least resistance, but it can also be controlled and directed by the use of conductors and insulators.

4. Can electricity be seen?

No, electricity cannot be seen. It is an invisible force that can only be observed through its effects, such as the illumination of a light bulb or the movement of an electric motor.

5. Is electricity dangerous?

Yes, electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause shocks, burns, and even death if mishandled. It is important to follow safety precautions when working with electricity.