Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity from high voltage lines

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    I have recently read about people who have successfully taken electricity from high voltage lines and used it to power their homes. Is this possible? What voltage, current and power can you get from it? What extra equipment is needed to make this work successfully?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Due to the potential hazards and legal ramifications of this question I am locking it.

4. Dec 8, 2004 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure it's possible. You get power from the power lines to your house legally. There is nothing stopping you from getting it illegally. I think that all it would need is an unscrupulous electrician to hook up your house without an electrical meter.

It would be extremely dangerous because you couldn't get the electical company to cut power to the wires while you hook them up, and it wouldn't last long because the electrical company sends crews around regularly to check meters for billing purposes.

However, as Integral has said, we will not host discussions into the actual procedures to do so due to liability reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?