Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity from tides

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    could this float generate enough electricity to be practical

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2
    Up and down only twice a day isn't very much motion. To make the ocean work for us, I would prefer to see submerged turbines in the paths of the major ocean currents, like the Gulf Steam that flows continuously from the Florida strait to Newfoundland.

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3
    as slow as the tide is it would float the ball up and attaced rod's teeth would turn a transmission attached to a generator. if this can't get the rpms then possibly float the ball up in an enclosed tube locking drain at bottom then in 6 hours releasing ball to fall at arranged speed possible i hope

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are only using a mass of water equivalent to the volume of the sphere - you system is exactly the same as somebody filling an empty sphere with water every tide and using the downward motion.

A tidal barrage system uses the mass of ALL the water contained in each tide flow.
    A system like yours can be used with waves, where it will generate energy on each wave - see Salter's ducks

6. Nov 6, 2009 #5
  7. Nov 6, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am against using tidal waves for electricity generation. I don't want days to become longer and longer.

8. Nov 6, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the nights get longer as well so you get a lie-in every morning!

9. Nov 6, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have a look at the wiki for tidal power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power

A single float just doesn't displace enough mass of water to generate much power. The typical ways tidal power is generated are able to harness the entire mass of water moved in a large area such as a bay. And even then, the economics aren't great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook