1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity homework problem

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i) What is the strength and direction of the force per unit length acting on a straight conductor carrying an electrical current, I, in a magnetic field, B?

(ii) The figure below shows a square frame of aluminium set at an angle θ to the direction of a strong static magnetic field, B, parallel to the x-axis (the y-axis is vertical). The frame has sides of length L and the arms have cross-sectional area A, with L >> √A. Write down expressions for the electrical resistance (for currents flowing around the frame) and the total mass if the density and conductivity of aluminium are ρ and σ respectively.

(iii) left out for the moment

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) F = B x Il,
    so F/l = BIsinφ, where φ is the angle between the direction of force and the length of the conductor and the force acts in a direction which is perpendicular to the magnetic field and the length of the conductor.

(ii) Electrical resistance R = L/σA

Total mass = ρV = ???

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    Re: Electricity

Well, V=LA.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Re: Electricity

Well, I know that but the problem is part of the frame is missing, so don't know how to take that into account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook