1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity homework

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three questions in all. I am unable to find out HOW to get the answer with my text book.
    1. An insulator has a positive electric charge of 2.4 x 10^-17 C. How many electrons were added or removed? (^-17 means to the power of negative 17). The answer is 150 electrons removed. However, i am not sure how to get to this answer!

2.If two protons are moved 3 times father apart, the electrical force between them is what factor of the original force? The answer is 1/9. Again, no idea how to get that.

3.If two protons are moved 3 times closer together, the electrical force between them is what factor of the original force? Answer is 9 times greater... how? no idea.

2. Relevant equations
    In my text book, i have the following info: which may be used to find the answer, but i dont know how.

Electron------------Mass 9.11 x 10^-31kg-----------Charge -1.60 x 10^-19
    Proton-------------Mass 9.673 x 10V-27-------------Charge 1.60 x 10^-19

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried dividing the charge by 3 and also divding by 3.. as the question suggests factor of 3.. but it obviously doesnt work.. im looking at some equations in the book.. some for current.. I=q/t.. but we have no "t" in these questions.. Pleae help!! I would greatly appreciate, as i have an exam tomorrow!! :)Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Electricity

Hi Jp_Garant! :smile:

For 2 and 3, look up Coulomb's law

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    Re: Electricity

Thankyou Tim! I am now able to use this.. tho I needed help... simply because i didnt know how to apply the math. Thankyou :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?