Exploring the Effects of Continuous Pressure on Piezoelectric Crystals

In summary, piezoelectricity produces a potential, but it cannot maintain a constant potential if the pressure is kept constant.
neerav
I wanted to ask if a continuous pressure on a piezoelectric produce a continuous potential or not??if not why??

Physics news on Phys.org
neerav said:
I wanted to ask if a continuous pressure on a piezoelectric produce a continuous potential or not??if not why??
What would be your guess, and why?

well i would guess that it should not give a potential under constant load as energy is getting produced without any actual conversion hence it voilates law of conservation of energy
but could not find anything to support my guess

There is no consumption or production of energy, in maintaining of a constant potential. It is only when you change the potential or move charges through this potential that work is done. That is not the case here.

Anyway, you are saying that piezoelectricity itself should not be possible - not that the peizoelectric voltage be a continuous function of the applied stress. Neither of the above is true, in the general case. For the latter, think "first order phase transitions"

oh sorry i forgot to say i intended to use the potential and hence change it

neerav said:
oh sorry i forgot to say i intended to use the potential and hence change it

After you applied a constant pressure to the piezoelectric crystal there will be a potential difference between two crystal surfaces. If you connect these surfaces by a wire, the electrons will flow from one surface to another. The current will stop after enough charge is transferred to compensate the original potential difference. There will be no current in the equilibrium, so no useful work can be performed after the equilibrium has been reached.

The situation is different if the pressure applied to the crystal is variable, e.g., sinusoidal. Then an alternating current will flow through the circuit as long as the pressure is applied.

Eugene.

thanks for the explanation but i have read on wikipedia if properly applied a 2kn force can create a potential of 12500V is it usable and what is its enrgy conversion efficiency
crystal is 1cm cube

Last edited:

1. What is a piezoelectric crystal?

A piezoelectric crystal is a material that generates an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress, such as pressure or vibration. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect.

2. How does continuous pressure affect piezoelectric crystals?

Continuous pressure applied to a piezoelectric crystal can cause it to produce a steady electric current. This is due to the crystal's ability to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy through the piezoelectric effect.

3. What are the potential applications of exploring the effects of continuous pressure on piezoelectric crystals?

Studying the effects of continuous pressure on piezoelectric crystals can have various applications in technology, such as in the development of sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices. It can also have medical applications, such as in ultrasound imaging.

4. How is continuous pressure applied to piezoelectric crystals in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, continuous pressure can be applied to piezoelectric crystals using specialized equipment, such as a pressure chamber or a hydraulic press. The pressure is carefully controlled and measured to ensure accurate and consistent results.

5. What factors can affect the results of exploring the effects of continuous pressure on piezoelectric crystals?

The results of studying the effects of continuous pressure on piezoelectric crystals can be influenced by various factors, such as the type and quality of the crystal, the magnitude and duration of the pressure applied, and external factors like temperature and humidity. It is important to carefully control and monitor these variables to obtain reliable and meaningful data.