Electricity in Space: Can It Work?

In summary, a person is seeking a second opinion on their idea of using a turbine in space to generate electricity without the need for resources. However, they are informed that the largest source of energy loss in this process is the energy required to rotate the magnet against a magnetic field, so the idea is not feasible. The person acknowledges this flaw and thanks the other individual for their input.
Twiz
First post here, hello!

Just wondering if I could get a second opinion on something. I'm doing my GCSEs right now, and after learning about the way electricity is generated, I had an idea, but I don't know if it's possible as I'm no expert.

Electricity is produced when you have a magnet rotating within a magnetic field right? We spend a lot of money making the magnets rotate, burning stuff usually to produce the power to turn them. Because of friction of gravity and air resistance and all of that, we have to keep using resources to make power. In space, there isn't gravity and there isn't air resistance. You can push something in space and it will keep on moving forever if it doesn't hit anything. Surely this means you could have a turbine in space, give it one push, and it would carry on turning forever(or until friction stops it)? Wouldn't this be a really cheap way of powering space stations.etc?

I'm guessing there's some flaw in my plan, as I would've heard about it before if it was pheasable, but I'm wondering what you think...

Physics news on Phys.org
The flaw in your plan is that by far the largest source of energy loss is the energy required to rotate the magnet against a magnetic field! That's where the electrical energy comes from and the energy required is exactly equal to the energy generated.

Also, friction forces due to gravity are miniscule compared to the forces being applied to the generator, so internal friction won't change much if the generator were put in space.

Oh ok then, I get that, I hadn't taken the magnetism into consideration...

Twiz said:
In space, there isn't gravityQUOTE]

Anybody else cringe everytime you see this?

1. How does electricity work in space?

Electricity in space works in a similar way as it does on Earth. It is produced by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, through a conductive material. However, in space, there is no air or material to conduct electricity, so it relies on different mechanisms, such as the interaction of magnetic fields or solar radiation.

2. Can electricity be generated in space?

Yes, electricity can be generated in space through various methods. Solar panels are commonly used to convert solar energy into electricity, while other methods include fuel cells, radioisotope thermoelectric generators, and nuclear power.

3. How is electricity used in space?

Electricity is used in various ways in space, including powering spacecraft and satellites, providing life support systems for astronauts, and operating scientific experiments and equipment. It is also essential for communication and navigation systems.

4. What challenges are there for using electricity in space?

One of the main challenges for using electricity in space is the harsh and extreme environment, including high levels of radiation and extreme temperatures. This can affect the performance and lifespan of electrical components. Additionally, as there is no air in space, there is no natural convection to dissipate heat, so special cooling systems are required for electronic devices.

5. Can electricity be transported in space?

While electricity cannot be transported in the traditional sense, it can be transmitted wirelessly using electromagnetic waves. This is commonly used for communication and powering remote devices, such as spacecraft and satellites. However, the distance and efficiency of wireless transmission can be limiting factors for the use of electricity in space.