Electricity in transmission lines (Simple V^2/R =P)

In summary: P = V*I. And then find the resistance, using...the above current and the power that is lost to heat (P_lost=1% of P) while that current flows thru the R. This formula, P_lost = I^2*R, rearranged as R = P_lost / I^2, would then have given you the same result.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
The National Grid uses high-voltage transmission lines to carry electrical power
around the UK. A particular transmission line delivers 800 MW of power at
132 kV to the user. It loses 1% of the transmitted power as heat.
What is the resistance of the transmission line?
[1 mark]
A 0.2 Ω
B 6 Ω
C 20 Ω
D 2000 Ω
Relevant Equations
V^2/R = P
I understand how to get the answer but i don't understand how the answer 0.2 ohms is equal to the resistance of the transmission lines
If V^2/P = R then (132kV)^2/800MW = the resistance of the transmission lines, why is the 1% tansmitted as heat relevant at all as this is just one form of energy released from the resistance ?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonbon22 said:
Problem Statement: The National Grid uses high-voltage transmission lines to carry electrical power
around the UK. A particular transmission line delivers 800 MW of power at
What is the resistance of the transmission line?
[1 mark]
A 0.2 Ω
B 6 Ω
C 20 Ω
D 2000 Ω
Relevant Equations: V^2/R = P

If V^2/P = R then (132kV)^2/800MW = the resistance of the transmission lines, why is the 1% tansmitted as heat relevant at all as this is just one form of energy released from the resistance ?
The transmission line is not the load connected to the end of the transmission line. Clearly, if all 132 kV were dropped across the transmission line then no power would be available for the actual load.

If 800 MW is actually delivered to the load, then there must be both voltage and current involved. That current is what leads to ohmic losses in the resistance of the transmission line.

Likes bonbon22
why is the 1% tansmitted as heat relevant at all as this is just one form of energy released from the resistance ?
Remember that the transmission lines deliver 800 MW of power to the user. What is lost as heat is lost. The 800 MW delivered is 99% of the power that the generating plant put into the transmission line. Another relevant equation for power is P = V*I. The power lost as heat is I^2*R.

Likes bonbon22
sojsail said:
Remember that the transmission lines deliver 800 MW of power to the user. What is lost as heat is lost. The 800 MW delivered is 99% of the power that the generating plant put into the transmission line. Another relevant equation for power is P = V*I. The power lost as heat is I^2*R.
sojsail said:
ok. I think i understand it a bit better, when doing the calculation for resistance i got a value of 21.78ohms what does this value represent the answer was 0.01 percent of this value.

bonbon22 said:
ok. I think i understand it a bit better, when doing the calculation for resistance i got a value of 21.78ohms what does this value represent the answer was 0.01 percent of this value.
You'll have to show your work so that we can see what you've calculated.

gneill said:
132kV ^2/ 800mw
gneill said:

(132*10^3)^2/80010^6 = 21.78

bonbon22 said:
(132*10^3)^2/80010^6 = 21.78
Once again you're taking the voltage drop on the transmission line to be the entire voltage delivered to the load. That is incorrect. Only a small fraction of the voltage produced by the generating station is "lost" traveling the transmission line.

Likes bonbon22
The power lost via P = I^2*R heating is just 1% of the total power. Now, if you only knew the current ...

Likes bonbon22
sojsail said:
The power lost via P = I^2*R heating is just 1% of the total power. Now, if you only knew the current ...
0.01 of (800 * 10^6) = 8*10^6
(132*10^3)^2/ 8*10^6 = 2178
gneill said:
Once again you're taking the voltage drop on the transmission line to be the entire voltage delivered to the load. That is incorrect. Only a small fraction of the voltage produced by the generating station is "lost" traveling the transmission line.
so i take 1 percent of both power and voltage , i got the right answer now cheers.

I was trying to steer you to a method of solving that I thought would demonstrate a more clear way to look at it:

You could calculate the current using P = V*I.
And then find the resistance, using as data the above current and the power that is lost to heat (P_lost=1% of P) while that current flows thru the R.
This formula, P_lost = I^2*R, rearranged as R = P_lost / I^2, would then have given you the same result.

Likes bonbon22
sojsail said:
I was trying to steer you to a method of solving that I thought would demonstrate a more clear way to look at it:

You could calculate the current using P = V*I.
And then find the resistance, using as data the above current and the power that is lost to heat (P_lost=1% of P) while that current flows thru the R.
This formula, P_lost = I^2*R, rearranged as R = P_lost / I^2, would then have given you the same result.
sojsail i appreciate your help, slightly confused are you saying that only taking the power at 1 percent but not the voltage would give me the same result ? is it bad practice to use V^2 /R so its better to use I ^2 * R?
thanks again.

Consider the phrasing of the original problem statement:
A particular transmission line delivers 800 MW of power at
800 MW at 132 kV is delivered to the user. That's what ends up across the eventual load. If 1% of the generated power is being lost in transmission, the generating station must actually be generating 808 MW at its end of the line.

You know what the user is receiving. From that information you can determine the current in the load and hence the transmission line since they are in series.

The transmission line is dissipating ΔP = 8 MW of power. So ##\Delta P = I^2 R_T## and solve for ##R_T##.

Likes sojsail and bonbon22
gneill said:
Consider the phrasing of the original problem statement:

800 MW at 132 kV is delivered to the user. That's what ends up across the eventual load. If 1% of the generated power is being lost in transmission, the generating station must actually be generating 808 MW at its end of the line.

You know what the user is receiving. From that information you can determine the current in the load and hence the transmission line since they are in series.

View attachment 243259

The transmission line is dissipating ΔP = 8 MW of power. So ##\Delta P = I^2 R_T## and solve for ##R_T##.
ahhh gotcha makes perfect sense now , cheers m8

What is electricity in transmission lines?

Electricity in transmission lines refers to the flow of electrical energy through a network of interconnected power lines, typically at high voltages, to transport electricity from power plants to substations and eventually to homes and businesses.

What is the formula for calculating power in transmission lines?

The formula for calculating power in transmission lines is P = V^2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms. This is known as Ohm's Law and is used to determine the amount of power lost due to resistance in the transmission lines.

Why is the V^2/R formula important in transmission lines?

The V^2/R formula is important in transmission lines because it helps determine the amount of power loss in the transmission process. As electricity travels through the lines, it encounters resistance which causes it to lose energy in the form of heat. By using this formula, engineers can calculate the amount of energy lost and design the lines accordingly to minimize power loss.

How does the voltage affect power in transmission lines?

The voltage in transmission lines is directly proportional to power, meaning that as voltage increases, power also increases. This is why power is often transmitted at high voltages, as it allows for more efficient and cost-effective transmission of electricity over long distances.

What is the role of resistance in power transmission?

Resistance plays a critical role in power transmission as it determines the amount of power lost during transmission. Higher resistance in the lines results in more power loss and lower efficiency. Therefore, minimizing resistance is important in designing effective transmission lines.