Electricity & Magnetism Text

In summary, the best undergraduate Electricity & Magnetism text is Griffiths, and it is recommended to supplement it with another textbook for more in-depth coverage of vector calculus.
EEWannabe
Hello there, I would like to just say before beginning that this is an excellent forum, and I have found it invaluable as a prospective physics student.

I'm looking for an undergraduate Electricity & Magnetism text which will lead me into, and through, my Physics degree.

Just a bit of background information as to my level of math/physics, I'm currently completing my A-Levels in Physics & Further Maths (as far as I can tell - equivalent to Calculus I/II - I have covered De Moivres Theorum etc and very simple ODE's)

So yes, I understand that my maths is far from up-to scratch for difficult Electricity and Magnetism (and definitely) Electromagnetism modules, however I am determined and would therefore like to be directed to the best Undergraduate texts there are. If, as is likely, there is pre-requisite math skill needed, I would also be grateful if I could be directed towards a relevant text (perhaps Calculus or differential equations).

I would also like to note which of course cheap texts would be preferable, this is an investment and I'd therefore be willing to spend the money if the text is considered to be excellent.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most undergraduates use Griffiths for E&M. There is a good reason for this; it is the best undergrad E&M textbook.

Which edition is better? second or 3rd?

I'd think it is safe to assume the 3rd edition is "better", although I haven't ever looked at the 2nd.

Hmm, are you referring to "Introduction to Electrodynamics" ?

Do you think that it would be a suitable and accessible text for me now? (Having taken roughly Calculus II)

Thank you for the feedback.

Another trouble I foresee is perhaps the lack of solutions to the questions set in the book, are they given to you? This would pretty much be a necessity if i'll be self-studying.

Last edited:
Presumably not, as you need vector calculus (divergence and curl operators, line, surface and volume integration, Divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem), and also a bit of ODEs (but this is easy enough to pick up). Grifftihs' book has a short introduction to all the vector calculus you need, but it would be helpful to supplement that with another textbook. I'm not sure which I'd recommend, but you can search the forums, as I'm sure it has been asked many times.

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two related but separate phenomena. Electricity involves the flow of electric charge, usually through a conductor like a wire. Magnetism, on the other hand, is caused by the movement of electric charges, specifically electrons, within certain materials. Electricity and magnetism are often referred to as the two sides of the same coin, as they are closely connected and interact with each other.

2. How does electricity generate magnetism?

Electricity can generate magnetism through the movement of electric charges, specifically electrons. When electrons move through a conductor, they create a magnetic field around the conductor. This is the basis for electromagnets, which are used in many applications such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.

3. What are the laws of electricity and magnetism?

The laws of electricity and magnetism are described by Maxwell's equations. These equations explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other. Some of the key laws include Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two electrically charged objects, and Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field around a conductor to the electric current flowing through it.

4. How are electricity and magnetism used in everyday life?

Electricity and magnetism are used in a wide range of everyday applications. They power our homes and workplaces, allow us to communicate through devices like phones and computers, and enable transportation through electric motors and trains. They are also used in medical devices, industrial machinery, and many other technologies that we rely on in our daily lives.

5. How does electricity and magnetism relate to each other in terms of energy?

Electricity and magnetism are related in terms of energy because they are both forms of electromagnetic energy. They are also interchangeable, as demonstrated by electromagnetism, where electricity can create magnetism and vice versa. This relationship is described by the theory of electromagnetism, which forms the basis of our understanding of electricity and magnetism.