Electricity, Power, and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of electricity and time needed to produce 1kg of paper in a paper mill. The mill requires 5000kW to operate at full capacity, and produces 14 tons (14000kg) of paper per hour. Electricity is purchased at $0.10/kW*hr and paper is sold at $5/kg. The conversation also mentions the relationship between power, work, and time, and the need to convert units to get rid of the dollar sign. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a calculation to determine the amount of electric energy needed to produce 1kg of paper.
aud11888
ok, so I know that a paper mill requires 5000kW to operate at full capacity, the mill produces 14 tons of paper per hour, electricity is purchased at $.10/kW*hr, and the paper is sold at $5/kg.

knowing this i need to find how much electricity is need to produce 1kg of paper.

so far, I've found how much time it will take to produce 1kg of paper by converting 14tons/hr to 14000kg/hr. Using Power = work/time i should be able to find the electricity needed, but i don't know how to calculate the value for work.. Work should be in Kw*hr i think

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean find how much Electric *Energy* it takes to make 1kg of paper.
yes, you want units of kW*hr/kg. You need to multiply or divide to get rid of $ .

A: how much time (in terms of seconds) does it take to produce 1 kg of paper.

B: a watt is a joule per second

C: so how many joules?

yea, i definitely still don't get it.. i found how many kg/sec it will be producing but how am i supposed to convert that to watts without knowing m^2/s that the mill is putting out?

nevermind, stupid question, i got it now

1. What is the difference between electricity, power, and energy?

Electricity refers to the flow of electric charge, usually through a conductor, such as a wire. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used, and is measured in watts. Energy is the capacity to do work, and can be converted into different forms, such as electrical, mechanical, or thermal energy.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including through the use of fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. Generally, a generator is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electricity?

The unit of measurement for electricity is the watt, which represents the rate at which energy is used or transferred. Other common units include kilowatts (kW) and kilowatt-hours (kWh), which are used to measure the amount of energy consumed over time.

4. How is electricity transmitted and distributed?

Electricity is transmitted through power lines, often at high voltages, to substations where it is then distributed to homes and businesses at lower voltages. This process involves transformers, which help to step down the voltage for safe use in our homes.

5. What are some ways to conserve energy and reduce electricity usage?

There are many ways to conserve energy and reduce electricity usage, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and adjusting thermostat settings. Using renewable energy sources and practicing energy-saving habits can also help to reduce our overall energy consumption.