Solving Electricity Prob w/ R1=7\Omega, R2=5\Omega, R3=4\Omega

• Thread starter faoltaem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: I_3 = 0.6A + (0.6 \times 3\Omega) = 1.12AIn summary, the values for the resistors are: R1=7\Omega, R2=5\Omega, R3=4\Omega (see diagram for placement of the resistors). The current through R3 is 0.6A and the voltage across R4 is 7.2V.
faoltaem
The values for the resistors are: R1=7[tex]\Omega[/tex], R2=5[tex]\Omega[/tex], R3=4[tex]\Omega[/tex] (see diagram for placement of the resistors)
1) Suppose there is a current of 0.6A going through R1 and that the voltage supplied by the battery is 9V, determine the value of R4
2) Using the information above, determine the current through R3 and the voltage across R4

1) [tex]\frac{1}{R_{eq(3+4)}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{R4}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{R4}{4R4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{4}{4R4}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{R4 + 4}{4R4}[/tex]
therefore R[tex]_{eq(3+4)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4R4}{R4 + 4}[/tex]

R[tex]_{tot}[/tex] = R1 + R2 + R[tex]_{eq(3+4)}[/tex]
15 = 7 + 5 + [tex]\frac{4R4}{R4 + 4}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{4R4}{R4 + 4}[/tex] = 3
4R4 = 3(R4 + 4)
= 3R4 + 12
therefore R4=12[tex]\Omega[/tex]

2) I = [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{R}[/tex] = 9/15 = 0.6A
V = IR = 0.6 x 12 = 7.2V

Is this correct?

Attachments

• Tutorial No. 8.bmp
    1.2 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
1 is fine.

2. is a bit of a problem.

note that the statement says that the current through R1 is 0.6 A. This means that 0.6 amps flows through R2 and also throught the parallel combination. So less than 0.6 amps should flow through R3.

Calculate the potential drop over the parallel combination. This same voltage appears over R3 and R4. Use this voltage and the known resistance of R3 to calc the current through it.

part 2 retry - electricity

P = VI = [tex]\frac{V^{2}}{R}[/tex] = I[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I[tex]_{1+2}[/tex] = 0.6A
R = 7+5 = 12[tex]\Omega[/tex]
P = 0.6[tex]^{2}[/tex] x 12 = 4.32W

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = PR = 4.32 x 12 = 51.84V
V = 7.2V

P = I[tex]^{2}[/tex] x 16 = 4.32
I[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4.32}{16}[/tex] = 0.2A
I = 0.5A

I = [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{R}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = IR = 0.5 x 12 = 6V

?

It seems you like to do things the hard (and also hard to comprehend) way ... You should somehow word what you are doing when you are solving problems and label calculated quantities, like [tex]I_3[/tex], in order for your teacher to evaluate your problems in the future.

A simpler/my approach would be:

The total resistance of the parallel combination is three ohm as you have discovered yourself. This means that the voltage drop over the combination (and also the individual resistors of the parallel connection - R3 and R4) will be

[tex]V_P = 0.6 \times 3\ volts[/tex]

This will be the potential difference over R4 (and R3), so it is quite simple to calc the current through R3 now with the resistance value of R3 given an the potential drop over it.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors, you can use the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each resistor. In this case, the total resistance would be 7Ω + 5Ω + 4Ω = 16Ω.

2. What is the purpose of using resistors in an electrical circuit?

Resistors are used in electrical circuits to control the flow of current and voltage. They are often used to reduce the amount of current in a circuit or to divide the voltage between different components. Resistors can also be used to protect other components from getting damaged by too much current.

3. How do I calculate the current in a circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the current in a circuit with multiple resistors, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the total resistance. In this case, if the voltage is given, you can plug in the value of 16Ω for R and solve for I.

4. What happens to the current in a circuit if I add another resistor?

If you add another resistor to a circuit, the total resistance will increase, and therefore, the current will decrease. This is because the voltage will be divided between the additional resistor and the rest of the resistors in the circuit, resulting in less current flowing through each resistor.

5. How do I know if my circuit has too much or too little resistance?

The amount of resistance in a circuit depends on the components used and the desired current and voltage. Generally, if the resistance is too high, the current will be low, and if the resistance is too low, the current will be high. It is important to carefully choose the resistors in a circuit to ensure that the desired current and voltage are achieved.