Electricity Problem. Please help.

• Thread starter KingJaymz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a negative charge when it is 2 meters away from a positive charge, without knowing the masses of the charges. This makes it impossible to solve the problem. However, one could calculate the change in potential energy and equate it with the change in kinetic energy, but this would still require knowing the mass. The professor may have left out the mass by accident and a fabricated mass could be used, as long as a consistent sign convention is used.
KingJaymz
Ok, so I have this problem and I can't figure out where to go because I'm missing the mass. This is the problem:

There is a test charge of +1.0 C. 10 meters away, a negative charge of -0.2 is released. Find the speed of the negative charge when it is 2 meters away from the positive charge.

Is there a way I can get the mass of these charges if I wasn't given them in the first place? Sorry, I'm really rusty with Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. There is no way to solve the problem without knowing the mass of the moving object.

- Warren

Hrm. Nice avatar by the way. Venom's awesome. Are you sure there's no way to solve the problem without the mass? I was never given a mass...

I am sure.

The easiest way to solve the problem would be the calculate the change in potential energy in moving from 10 meters to 2 meters, and equate that with the change in kinetic energy of the moving charge. That much is easy to find.

Finding the velocity of a particle with a given kinetic energy, however, requires the mass to be given.

- Warren

Nuts. That's what I thought. And, in fact, that was the way I was going to tackle the problem. Oh well. I can at least say "Let mass of point charge be x" and such. Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully I'll be able to start helping others with physics soon.

Edit: One last question about this problem. Does anyone know of masses that might be believable for the charges in the problem?

The mass could literally be anything at all.

Did someone give this problem to you and expect an answer?

- Warren

Yes, but my professor made the problem up himself, so I guess he might have left out the mass by accident.

When I'm finding the difference between the values for the two Electric Potential Energies, am I right in assuming I need to take the absolute value? Or at least stay consistent with whether I take the absolute value with the kinetic energies as well?

The potential energy with opposite charges, large r, is small and negative.

The potential energy with opposite charges, small r, is large and negative.

In other words, as the charges come closer, the potential energy is becoming more negative.

Just use a consistent sign convention.

- Warren

Thank you for the information. That's sort of what I was figuring. As long as my professor accepts my fabricated mass, I should be fine. Thank you again.

1. What is an electricity problem?

An electricity problem refers to any issue or malfunction related to the flow of electricity, such as power outages, flickering lights, or faulty electrical devices.

2. What causes electricity problems?

Electricity problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty wiring, power surges, equipment malfunctions, and severe weather conditions.

3. How can I troubleshoot an electricity problem?

If you are experiencing an electricity problem, first check to see if the issue is isolated to your home or if your neighbors are also affected. If it is only affecting your home, check your circuit breakers and fuses to see if they have tripped or blown. If the problem persists, it is best to call a licensed electrician for further assistance.

4. How can I prevent electricity problems?

To prevent electricity problems, make sure to regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system, use surge protectors for sensitive equipment, and avoid overloading circuits. It is also important to never attempt to fix electrical issues yourself if you are not trained and qualified to do so.

5. Can electricity problems be dangerous?

Yes, electricity problems can be dangerous and pose a risk of electrocution or fire. It is important to always prioritize safety and seek professional help when dealing with any electricity-related issues.