1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity problem

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    electricity problem :(

so heres the problem:

through what potential difference would an electron need to be accelerated for it to achieve a speed of 42.0% of the speed of light, starting from rest? The speed of light is c = 3.00e8 m/s

so i thought the equation i would use would be Vf-Vi=deltaPE / q

so i thougth the change in potential energy would be equal to the opposite of change in kinetic energy, so delta PE would = .5mv^2, and v is 3e8 X .42, so:

.5 X 9.11e-31 X (1.26e8)^2 / 1.6e-19 = 4520V, but this is wrong, so yea, no clue. any help would be much appreciated, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got the right idea. All of the potential energy should show up as kinetic energy of the electron. Where you went wrong is right here:

The expression [itex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] is the nonrelativistic kinetic energy. In relativity there is a different expression:

[tex]K=\gamma\left(mc^2-1\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}[/tex]

If you use the correct expression, you should get the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?