Calculate Magnitude of Positive Charge on Two Conducting Spheres

• Thread starter Jatsix30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, two conducting spheres with identical radii initially have charges of opposite sign and unequal magnitudes. They attract each other with a force of 0.162N when separated by 0.3m. After being connected and then removed by a thin conducting wire, they repel each other with a force of 0.041N. The spheres then have equal charges and using the formula Fe=(kq1q2)/(d^2), the magnitude of the positive charge on each sphere is calculated to be 6.4x10^-7 C.
Jatsix30
Two conducting spheres have identical radii. Initially they have charges of opposite sign and unequal magnitudes with the magnitude of the positive charge larger than the magnitude of the negative charge. They attract each other with a force of 0.162N when separated by 0.3m. The spheres are suddenly connected by a thin conducting wire, which is then removed. Note the spheres repel each other with a force of 0.041. What is the magnitude of the postive charge? Answer in units of C.

I tried using the formula Fe=(kq1q2)/(d squared) but i was unsuccessful... :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea, you know before the wire:
Fe=(k*qb1*qb2)/(d^2) = -0.162N
qb1 is the charge on sphere one before the thin wire is attached. Sphere one will also be the posatively charge sphere. I am using negative force to mean attractive.
After the thin wire is attached:
Fe=(k*qa1*qa2)/(d^2) = 0.041.

After the sphere touch they equaly distribute the charge over both spheres so.
(qb1+qb2)/2 = qa1 = qa2

Does the problem make more sense now?

It's more clear to me how to do this problem...
After the thin wire attached, I calculated that qa1=qa2=6.4 times 10^-7.
Then, I assume you can use math to calculate qab, right? I'm not sure how though, as my math skills aren't that good either.
Thanks for helping!

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres is Q = k * (Q1 * Q2) / r, where Q is the magnitude of the charge, k is the Coulomb's constant (9*10^9 N*m^2/C^2), Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the two spheres, and r is the distance between the centers of the spheres.

2. How do I determine the distance between the centers of the two conducting spheres?

The distance between the centers of the two conducting spheres can be determined by measuring the distance between the two spheres using a ruler or by using the formula d = sqrt((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2), where d is the distance, x1 and y1 are the coordinates of the first sphere, and x2 and y2 are the coordinates of the second sphere.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres is Coulomb (C).

4. Can the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres be negative?

No, the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres cannot be negative. The term "magnitude" refers to the absolute value of a quantity, so it is always positive.

5. What is the significance of calculating the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres?

Calculating the magnitude of positive charge on two conducting spheres is important in understanding the forces between two charged objects and their interactions. This can be useful in various scientific fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and particle physics.