Solve Electricity Problems: Get Answers Now

• Thread starter Aravsion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: But note that the electric field is a vector, its magnitude depends on its direction. The question is only concerned with the magnitude, but to be complete you should say something about the direction as well.In summary, we discussed two problems - one involving the operating efficiency of an electric motor and another involving the potential and electric field between two parallel conducting plates. For the first problem, we used equations for work and power to calculate the efficiency of the motor. For the second problem, we assumed a linear change in potential and used ratios to find the potential and electric field at a specific point.
Aravsion
I have two problems that I have difficulty understanding and solving.

Homework Statement

The operating efficiency of a 0.5 A, 120 V electric motor that lifts 9 kg mass agaisnt gravity at an average velocity of 0.5 m/s is most nearly what percentage?

Please help me solve this problem

2. Homework Statement
Two large, flat, parallel, conducting plates are 0.04 m apart, as shown in the picture. The lower plate is at a potential difference of 2 V with respect to ground. The upper plate is at a potential of 10 V with respect to ground. Point P is located 0.01 m above the lower plate. The electric potential at point P is? The magnitude of the electric field at point P is?
eca17b3c335b.jpg

Please help me understand and solve this problem also...

Physics news on Phys.org
Aravsion said:
I have two problems that I have difficulty understanding and solving.

Homework Statement

The operating efficiency of a 0.5 A, 120 V electric motor that lifts 9 kg mass agaisnt gravity at an average velocity of 0.5 m/s is most nearly what percentage?

Please help me solve this problem

2. Homework Statement
Two large, flat, parallel, conducting plates are 0.04 m apart, as shown in the picture. The lower plate is at a potential difference of 2 V with respect to ground. The upper plate is at a potential of 10 V with respect to ground. Point P is located 0.01 m above the lower plate. The electric potential at point P is? The magnitude of the electric field at point P is?
eca17b3c335b.jpg

Please help me understand and solve this problem also...

Welcome to the PF.

For (1), please list the equations for work (both mechanical and electrical). Please show your work.

For (2), please list the equations for the Electric field as a function of voltage and distance. Please show your work.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

For (1), please list the equations for work (both mechanical and electrical). Please show your work.

For (2), please list the equations for the Electric field as a function of voltage and distance. Please show your work.

The equation for mechanical work is Work = force x distance and for electrical it's Potential difference (V) x q (charge) = Work or Potential energy difference of the charge... Is that what you're asking?
E = F/q and also E = V/d

Last edited:
Aravsion said:
The equation for mechanical work is Work = force x distance and for electrical it's Potential difference (V) x q (charge) = Work or Potential energy difference of the charge... Is that what you're asking?
E = F/q and also E = V/d

For electrical work in this problem, you will use the motor's current and voltage to get the power, and you use time to convert power into work. What are the equations for that?

And then go ahead and describe how you would calculate the efficiency of the motor system in doing the mechanical work...

berkeman said:
For electrical work in this problem, you will use the motor's current and voltage to get the power, and you use time to convert power into work. What are the equations for that?

And then go ahead and describe how you would calculate the efficiency of the motor system in doing the mechanical work...

[tex]Power = UI[/tex] so the power of the motor is - [tex]Power = 120 \textup{ V}\times 0.5 \textup{ A}[/tex] and this equals to 60 watts. How can I find the time though?
Also, from lifting the 9 kg mass at a velocity of 0.5 m/s I can convert the 9 kg mass to its weight (9 kg * 9.8 m/s2) and then simply multiply that weight quantity by 0.5 m/s to find the power of that? In other words, [tex]Power = \frac{Work }{time} = Force \times \frac{distance}{time} = Force \times velocity[/tex]
But once again I need to find the time to find work... and then use the equation: [tex]Eff = \frac{Woutput}{Winput}\times 100[/tex]

If each of the powers are constant over time, and if work = power x time, then over any given time interval Δt:

[tex] \frac{W_{out}}{W_{in}} = \frac{P_{out} \times \Delta t}{P_{in} \times \Delta t} = \frac{P_{out}}{P_{in}} [/tex]

gneill
Thank you :) now I understand.. The answer I got was 75%...
Also, how would I approach the 2nd problem, do you have any ideas?

If you assume that the potential changes linearly with distance from 2V at the bottom plate to 10V at the upper plate, what is the potential at point P? Start by finding the total change in potential ΔP, and the total change in distance Δd. What ratios can you set up to relate the distance of P to the change in potential?

gneill
Big thanks! :smile:
I solved it like this, if my thinking was wrong please correct me:
[tex]8 \textup{ V} = 0.04 \textup{ m}[/tex] - This is because we know that the distance between the top and bottom plates is 0.04 meters and the difference in potential difference is 8 volts.
[tex]1 \textup{ V} = 0.005 \textup{ m}[/tex] - From this, we know that the bottom plate starts from 2 V and the potential difference starts escalating towards the top plate which has a voltage of 10 V. Thus, [tex]1 \textup{ V} = 0.005 \textup{ m}[/tex]
[tex]2 \textup{ V} = 0.01 \textup{ m}[/tex]
Therefore, the potential difference at point P is 4 V and the magnitude of the electric field would be - [tex]E = \frac{8 \textup{ V}}{0.04 \textup{ m}} ; E = 200 \textup{ V/m}[/tex]

Looks good!

What are the common causes of electricity problems?

The most common causes of electricity problems include power outages, faulty wiring, overloading circuits, and damaged electrical appliances or equipment.

How can I troubleshoot electricity problems in my home?

To troubleshoot electricity problems in your home, start by checking the circuit breaker or fuse box to see if a circuit has been tripped or a fuse has been blown. If that does not solve the problem, try unplugging all appliances and devices and then plugging them back in one at a time to see if one of them is causing the issue. If the problem persists, it may be best to call a licensed electrician for assistance.

What should I do if I experience a power outage?

If you experience a power outage, check to see if your neighbors also do not have power. If they do, then it is likely an issue with the power grid and you should contact your electricity provider. If your neighbors have power and you do not, then check your circuit breaker or fuse box to see if a circuit has been tripped or a fuse has been blown. If everything appears to be in order, then it may be best to call a licensed electrician for assistance.

Can I fix electricity problems on my own?

In some cases, such as a tripped circuit or blown fuse, you may be able to fix electricity problems on your own. However, if you are unsure of the cause of the problem or do not have experience working with electricity, it is best to call a licensed electrician for assistance. Attempting to fix electricity problems without proper knowledge and training can be dangerous and lead to further issues.

How can I prevent electricity problems in the future?

To prevent electricity problems in the future, make sure to properly maintain your electrical appliances and equipment, avoid overloading circuits, and regularly check your circuit breaker or fuse box for any issues. It is also a good idea to have a licensed electrician inspect your home's electrical system at least once every few years to identify and address any potential problems before they become major issues.