Understanding Static Electricity: How Walking on Carpet Creates Voltage

• Thread starter zinedine_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, a person walking across a carpet may build up a charge of many thousands of volts, enough to cause a spark. This type of discharge is usually harmless, because the energy of the spark is very small.
zinedine_88
Hi I read that in an encyclopedia but I don't understand it.

"Because the surface of the material is now electrically charged, either negatively or positively, any contact with an uncharged conductive object or with an object having substantially different charge may cause an electrical discharge of the built-up static electricity; a spark. A person simply walking across a carpet may build up a charge of many thousands of volts, enough to cause a spark one centimeter long or more. This type of discharge is usually harmless because the energy ((V2 * C)/2) of the spark is very small, being typically several tens of micro joules in cold dry weather, and much less than that in damp conditions."

THE RED PART iS confusing to me.
How come one can creat thousands of volts by rubbing their feet on a carpet while walking? And if that's true the energy is not small at all... E = (V^2xC)/2... if u have 5000 volts... ?///

PLEASE EXPLAIN ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
zinedine_88 said:
THE RED PART iS confusing to me.
How come one can creat thousands of volts by rubbing their feet on a carpet while walking? And if that's true the energy is not small at all... E = (V^2xC)/2... if u have 5000 volts... ?///

Hi zinedine!

Think of yourself as a 5,000-volt battery.

An ordinary 1.5-volt battery has exactly 1.5 volts, no matter whether it's fully charged or almost expired. Even when it doesn't have enough power to light a light bulb, the potential difference between its plates is still 1.5 volts.

You are a 5,000-volt battery which is almost expired. You have hardly any charge, but what little charge you do have is 5,000-volts different from the Earth's potential.

To put it another way:
Electric potential is like gravitational potential.

Imagine that a lot of electrons were about to fall on you from a height of 5,000 feet (ignore air resistance).

If there were billions of them, and they fell in a lump, they'd have a huge amount of kinetic energy, and you'd be crushed.

But if only a few electrons fell, they'd have hardly any kinetic energy, and they wouldn't do much harm!

The spark contains electrons "falling" through 5,000 volts. But so few of them fall that the total energy is so small that it does you no harm! :smile:

Thanks, I think I got it!

So what kills you in real life is the amount of electrons passing thru ur body, not the voltage. The higher the amperage the more dangerous is ? Am I right

Absolutely!
:smile: Your fear of carpets is cured! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
You are a 5,000-volt battery which is almost expired. You have hardly any charge, but what little charge you do have is 5,000-volts different from the Earth's potential.

Why you have hardy any charge ? there are so many electrons in your body.

GT1 said:
Why you have hardy any charge ? there are so many electrons in your body.

Yes, but theyr'e almost all balanced out by the opposite charge of the protons in your body.

Only the electrons from the carpet have no protons to balance them, and so your charge comes only from them.

And there's very few, so your charge is extremely small. :smile:

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of an electric charge on the surface of an object. It occurs when there is an imbalance of electrons, either by removing or adding them, on the surface of the object.

2. How does walking on carpet create static electricity?

When you walk on carpet, your shoes rub against the carpet and create friction. This friction causes the transfer of electrons from one surface to another, leaving one surface with a positive charge and the other with a negative charge.

3. Why do we feel a shock when we touch a doorknob after walking on carpet?

The shock is caused by the buildup of static electricity on your body. When you touch a conductor, such as a doorknob, the excess electrons on your body quickly transfer to the conductor, resulting in a sudden flow of electricity and the sensation of a shock.

4. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is harmless and only causes small shocks. However, in certain situations, such as in the presence of flammable gases or liquids, static electricity can build up and result in a spark that could potentially cause a fire or explosion.

5. How can we prevent or minimize static electricity?

To prevent or minimize static electricity, you can try wearing clothes made of natural fibers, using a humidifier to increase moisture in the air, using anti-static products, or grounding yourself by touching a conductive object before touching other surfaces.