Can I electrify my lamina roof using my electric fence?

• Thread starter jfreak53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamina
In summary: You would need to have a ground wire so that if someone touches it while grounded they would get shocked.
jfreak53
Ok I have an electric fence behind my house. And next to it is a small building that has a lamina roof. I would like to electrify this roof using the current from my fence. Does anyone know of a way to make this work right. From what I know there has to be a ground output for the electrification to work right, that's why the fence works, when you touch it your grounded. But if someone or an animal is on top of the roof it won't go off since there is no ground, right? Or am I thinking about this too much?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jfreak53 said:
Ok I have an electric fence behind my house. And next to it is a small building that has a lamina roof. I would like to electrify this roof using the current from my fence. Does anyone know of a way to make this work right. From what I know there has to be a ground output for the electrification to work right, that's why the fence works, when you touch it your grounded. But if someone or an animal is on top of the roof it won't go off since there is no ground, right? Or am I thinking about this too much?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

You are correct. If you electrify the whole roof, there is no complete circiut when the animal is standing on the roof. Just like birds can sit on a high-voltage power wire and not notice anything.

If you could electify alternating insulated metal strips on the roof with opposite phase (do fences use AC or DC?), then you might get reliable shocking between the hooves/feet of the animals.

That sounds like difficult legal stuff.

Anyway, from a technical angle, it wouldn't help to electrify a roof except that someone might get zapped climbing onto it. Once he was on it, he would be like a bird on a power line. There is no voltage across him, so he doesn't feel anything.

You could Earth the roof and have bare wires running across it that are insulated from the roof.

So, someone could touch the wires while grounded and get zapped.

However it is not like a fence where he has a way of getting away. Someone could get trapped on a roof and continue to get shocks.

What if he had a heart attack or fell off the roof?
In my country, you can't set man-traps and if you did cause serious injury, you could be dragged into court because of it, even if the person was a burglar or worse.

Ah, I missed the part where he said "someone or an animal". My bad. Yeah, electrifying a confined space or a rooftop where a human could be would not be good.

1. What is an electrifying lamina roof?

An electrifying lamina roof is a type of roofing system that uses solar panels to generate electricity. The solar panels are integrated into the roof design, making it a seamless and aesthetically pleasing option for green energy.

2. How does an electrifying lamina roof work?

The solar panels on the lamina roof absorb sunlight and convert it into direct current (DC) electricity. This electricity is then sent to an inverter, which converts it into alternating current (AC) electricity that can be used to power appliances and devices in the home or building.

3. What are the benefits of an electrifying lamina roof?

One of the main benefits of an electrifying lamina roof is that it can significantly reduce energy costs. It also helps to reduce carbon emissions and is a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option compared to traditional roofing materials. Additionally, some areas offer incentives and tax breaks for installing solar panels, making it a cost-effective choice in the long run.

4. Are electrifying lamina roofs suitable for all types of buildings?

Electrifying lamina roofs can be installed on most types of buildings, including residential homes, commercial buildings, and even industrial facilities. However, the size and orientation of the roof may affect the efficiency and effectiveness of the solar panels. It is best to consult with a professional to determine if your building is suitable for an electrifying lamina roof.

5. How long do electrifying lamina roofs last?

The lifespan of an electrifying lamina roof can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the materials, installation, and maintenance. Generally, they can last anywhere from 20 to 30 years, but with proper care and maintenance, they can last even longer.