Can Electro Hydraulic Valves Revolutionize Cam Shaft Engines?

In summary, the auto industry will be using this method to contol inlet and exhuast valves, i think 6000 rpm is the limit so far with a 48v (coil), this system has many advantages ie variable valve timing/ dwell, what are the limitations of this idea and could it be retro fitted to cam shaft engines?It would be an awesome improvement because you would have basically infinite valve timing which means max power over the whole RPM range. I guess it would also remove the need for a cam shaft and reduce the extra HP neede to turn that. I wonder what kind of HP engines this system will be used on. I know if you build a 700hp race engine, the valve springs pull
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The auto industry will be using this method to contol inlet and exhuast valves, i think 6000 rpm is the limit so far with a 48v (coil), this system has many advantages ie variable valve timing/ dwell, what are the limitations of this idea and could it be retro fitted to cam shaft engines?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be an awesome improvement because you would have basically infinite valve timing which means max power over the whole RPM range. I guess it would also remove the need for a cam shaft and reduce the extra HP neede to turn that. I wonder what kind of HP engines this system will be used on. I know if you build a 700hp race engine, the valve springs pull the valves with about 600 lbs of force. You think a 48v coil can hold a valve with that much force?

This pdf goes over the design

http://www.icel.tkk.fi/eve/IHA_TUKEVA-article_2002.pdf

Lotus have a working system, sorry crappy site.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_3_39/ai_99101945

I've seen one of the Lotus experimental engines running using this system.

One of the drawbacks I was presented with was that each actuator cost around £18,000. On a sixteen valve engine that would soon add up.

Obviously economies of scale will bring this down, but the technical limitations of such a system are reasonably insignificant. (There are also minor issues around packaging and control.)

One of the things I found interesting about the system was that an effective Miller cycle could be employed just by altering the valve timing.

In terms of retrofit, I doubt we'll see much. The advantages you'd gain from being able to use some funky timings on your existing car engine would be small compared with engines developed specifically to use such a system (with optimised breathing, bowl shape etc).

Last edited:
The Ford PowerStroke diesel (actually the engine is made by International) uses something similar to this for fuel injection. There is a high pressure oil pump which pumps oil into galleys in the head. Through a plunger configuration in the head the fuel is put under this high pressure also. There would be one plunger per injector. The timing is done electronically. A solenoid valve opens (part of the injector) and let's the fuel into the combustion chamber. The voltage on the solenoid is slightly over 100 volts I believe. The time the injector valve is held open is determined by how far you have your foot into the pedal.
-
Brewnog, I don't see why you couldn't retrofit existing engines with the system. Most of the guts are going to be integral to the head except the oil pump. Someone is likely to come up with heads like this for large displacement engines of the past.
-
Triden, it's not the coil that holds the valve open. The coil operates a valve which allows hydraulic pressure to open the valve.

Hello folks,

Great topic. EHVs have been the state of the art for commerical aircraft "fly by wire" aerodynamic control surface actuators. Their precision of control is quite high, which makes performance tuning very fine.
Averagesupernova said:
Triden, it's not the coil that holds the valve open. The coil operates a valve which allows hydraulic pressure to open the valve.
This is true. On a fly-by-wire actuator there are actually two coils that operate two valves in parallel. One coil is a shutoff (On/Off) valve that provides high pressure hydraulic fluid to the actuator's second stage valve, the EHV. While the shutoff valve is simply operated by 28VDC On/Off, the EHV is commanded dynamically (closed-loop) via a PCM electrical signal format.

Using EHV for auto engine valves will obviously allow much tighter engine control and performance tailoring. It will be like going from stone knives to razors & lasers. :cool:

Rainman

Cars now are characterized by very powerfull systems and a crucial role is played by http://www.cbfhydraulic.com/products-check-valves-c-6_32.html" [Broken]. They should be always very clean otherwise all the system will have serious problems. I think also Lotus cars have in their hydraulic system this kind of valves.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an electro hydraulic valve?

An electro hydraulic valve is a type of valve that uses a combination of electric and hydraulic power to control the flow of fluids. It typically consists of a solenoid coil, a valve spool, and a hydraulic actuator.

How does an electro hydraulic valve work?

An electro hydraulic valve works by using an electric current to control the position of the valve spool. When the solenoid coil is energized, it creates a magnetic field that moves the valve spool, opening or closing the valve and allowing or stopping the flow of fluid.

What are the applications of electro hydraulic valves?

Electro hydraulic valves are commonly used in industrial and mobile machinery, such as construction equipment, agricultural machinery, and material handling equipment. They are also used in manufacturing processes, power plants, and oil and gas industries.

What are the advantages of using electro hydraulic valves?

One of the main advantages of electro hydraulic valves is their ability to provide precise and efficient control of fluid flow. They can also handle high pressure and high flow rates, making them suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, they are durable and have a long lifespan.

What are the potential issues with electro hydraulic valves?

Some potential issues with electro hydraulic valves include the need for regular maintenance, the risk of leakage, and the potential for electrical failures. It is important to properly install and maintain these valves to ensure their proper functioning and prevent any potential issues.