Calculating Electro-Magnet Holding Force

• Thread starter kosoniscs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, calculating the attractive force of an electric-magnet to lift a specific weight depends on the current, number of wires in the coil, and quality of the steel in the middle of the coil. This force can be estimated using the equation F=0.577B^2 A, where B is the flux density in kilogauss and A is the pole face area in square inches. It is also important to consider the magnetic moment and the gradient of the magnetic field.
kosoniscs
How can I calculate a electric-magnet? I mean, I want to built a electric-magnet to raise for example 1kg. I know that the atractive force depends on the current and the number of wires in the coil, as well the quality of the steel in the middle of the coil. But I don't know how can I associate this parameters to an attractive force like 10 Newonts.
Can anybody help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, kosoniscs.

Please be sure to read our guidelines ... we ask you to not make double posts.

The magnetic force depends on the gradient of the magnetic field:

[tex]F=m\frac{dB}{dx}[/tex]

(For simplicity I use only one dimension),
here m is a magnetic moment. The magnetic moment itself may be proportional to the external magnetic field strength.
The magnetic field far from the magnet may be considered as a field from dipole. It is more difficult to consider the attraction of two attached magnet. One trick may help. Let's make a small air gap between two magnets. If we find out how much energy we can gain by reducing the air gap, we will find out the force, because
[tex]F=dE/dx[/tex]

Hi Shyboy...
Could you send me an example?

A commonly used equation to estimate holding force is:
[tex]F=0.577B^2 A[/tex]
where B is flux density in kilogauss, and A is the area of a pole face in square inches
http://labcontrol.pqui.utfsm.cl/~wally/Manuals/General/Magnetic/magnetic.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the strength of an electro-magnet calculated?

The strength of an electro-magnet is calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the wire coil by the current flowing through the wire. This is known as the magnetomotive force (MMF). The strength of the magnetic field can also be affected by the material of the core, with iron being the most commonly used for its high magnetic permeability.

2. What factors affect the magnetic field of an electro-magnet?

The strength of the magnetic field of an electro-magnet is affected by the number of turns in the wire coil, the current flowing through the wire, and the material of the core. Additionally, the length and diameter of the wire, as well as the spacing between the wires, can also impact the magnetic field strength.

3. How does the distance from an electro-magnet affect its magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field of an electro-magnet decreases as the distance from the magnet increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

4. Can the magnetic field of an electro-magnet be calculated for irregularly shaped cores?

Yes, the magnetic field of an electro-magnet can still be calculated for irregularly shaped cores by using mathematical equations and techniques such as finite element analysis. However, the calculation may be more complex and may require specialized software or tools.

5. What is the difference between an electro-magnet and a permanent magnet?

An electro-magnet is a temporary magnet that only produces a magnetic field when an electric current is flowing through it. On the other hand, a permanent magnet is always magnetized and does not require an external current to produce a magnetic field. Permanent magnets are typically made from materials with high magnetic coercivity, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, while electro-magnets can be made from various materials depending on their intended use.